cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to clear AP's candidate WLC list?

derek_tracey
Level 1
Level 1

Experts, does anyone know if there is a way to clear the candidate WLC list without using the factory defaults reset? I have found the list of "remembered" WLCs to be troublesome, and would like to clear the list if possible. 

3 Replies 3

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7
Are you trying to delete all learned WLCs or the primary/secondary/tertiary settings?

On the AP itself you can logon and do the following commands but this will effectively return the AP to default so it might not be what you want.

debug capwap console cli
clear capwap private-config

Bear in mind that when an AP joins a WLC it will learn about other WLCs in the same mobility group so it doesn't matter if you cleared them now, it would re-learn those.

Hope that helps.. if not, outline specifically what you are trying to achieve and what setup you currently have.

Ric
-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

That command might, work. I will have to give it a try. 

Specificially, we "stage" APs on a local WLC to give it a name, label it, get the firmware downloaded, make sure it is not DOA, etc.. Then, we ship the AP to the final site location. Everything works great until it is time to perform a firmware update to the onsite WLC. At times, when updating the WLC firmware and rebooting the WLC, the APs will decide to join the WLC that was previously used to stage the APs. If you have a console cable connected to the AP while it boots, you can clearly see the staging WLC is in the "remembered" list of WLCs that the AP has ever connected too. Meanwhile, the upgraded WLC finshes its reboot, comes online, and now the site does not have any APs because they are connected to the staging WLC. Without manual intervention, it will take a few minutes before the APs rejoin the upgraded WLC. 

I would like to add some kind of "clearing" step to our staging process so that the AP will forget that it ever connected to our staging WLC. Staging the APs this way might not seem worth it, but when rolling out hundreds of APs, its efficient to pay a low-level guy to perform all these steps as well as dealing with the logistics of adding assets to our inventory system. 

If you do this after the software upgrade (while staging it):
debug capwap console cli
clear capwap private-config
It will lose the name again and also the WLC. My suggestion is that you configure the correct WLC in the DHCP option 43 on each site, that way the AP will always find its correct WLC when booting, even if it's not staged.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card