Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure a Cisco Aironet 1242AG

joynerj
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I just started a new job and there is a box of Aironet 1242AG access points they'd like me to configure. I plug it into a C2960 PoE switch and I can see it gets an ip address. I try to type that ip address in my browser to configure the access point, but get I messaged that 192.168.000.XXX refused to connect. When I try to telnet into the access point I get a message that says Password required but none set and then connection to the host has been lost. 

Do I need any tools/programs to setup this access point or should it be as easy and plugging into a PoE switch and then connecting to it's web interface using the ip address that was assigned (DHCP)? 

I restored one of these devices by holding the mode button in while inserting the ethernet cable. I can see the name in the dhcp lease list changed so I believe it's been restored.

All of these devices are behaving the same so I believe I'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 Replies 6

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

could you connect a console cable and observe and post the output?

the default IP address for an autonomous AP when you press the MODE button is 10.0.0.1/8 and you can access HTTP/web GUI to that IP address.

i saw one of your post and it seemed the 1242AG has a lightweight/controller-based IOS. so you need to convert it first to autonomous IOS.

here's a useful link in case your configuring standalone/autonomus APs:

http://ccnawirelesswannabe.blogspot.com/2016/08/configuring-cisco-autonomous-standalone.html

I think you're right. Let me know if the picture I attached is what  you're referring to...I can see that the access point picks up an IP address and subnet mask from the DHCP server but then it keeps looking for its controller (which we don't have). The previous tech must have set them up using a standalone/autonomous method. 

The link you sent is great, but although I can ping the IP address (in this case 192.168.0.25)...I can't reach it's GUI. I get a connection refused error. So connecting to its serial port is my only option. 

hi,

it seems this is an autonomous AP. could you post a show version just to confirm?

you'll know if it's lightweight AP if it has k9w8 on its IOS and you'll have to convert it to autonomous (IOS k9w7) if you want to manage the AP without a WLC.

This is what I got:

AP0019.e713.f444>show version
Cisco IOS Software, C1240 Software (C1240-RCVK9W8-M), Version 12.4(21a)JA2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 02-Nov-09 18:40 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C1240 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C1240 Boot Loader (C1240-BOOT-M) Version 12.3(7)JA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

AP0019.e713.f444 uptime is 0 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/c1240-rcvk9w8-mx/c1240-rcvk9w8-mx"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.
--More--

so it's confirmed lightweight, which means it needs to talk to a WLC to manage it.

do you want these to be autonomous or standalone AP?

see helpful link for AP conversion:

http://ccnawirelesswannabe.blogspot.com/2016/08/converting-cisco-lightweight-to.html

once it's autonomous, follow the link that i initially gave you for configuring autonomous AP via HTTP/web GUI using the express setup wizard.

That is a great link. However, I cannot access the web interface. I get a message that the access point refused to connect (see picture). So it looks like I'll have to flash the access point via cli using a serial port. I bought a usb-serial port cable and can access the access point.

This is a link that shows what I believe I need to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8T__dkg7P4&feature=em-share_video_user

So, now my question is: Can I use an older version of the autonomous IOS? I don't have a service contract so I can't download the newest version. Will an older one do? Looking at the screenshot I uploaded 12.4.21a is the newest version, but without a service contract 12.4.24d-JA2 is the most recent version Cisco will allow me to download. Will that be OK?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card