Hi all bros,
Assume I have 04 AP1852E access points with mobility express image. On the document page on Cisco, I just find how to configure an AP1852E as Mobility express controller and it said in a network we can have only 01 controller (so only 01 AP1852E access point can be configured with mobility express controller function).
So If I want to 04 APs work like this: In any time, only 01 AP is a master controller (it can also work as a normal AP to service clients), 03 other APs can join to the master AP and service clients but can take over the master role when the master router is failed.
I know how to configure a master AP (AP with controller role). But please guide me configure other AP (working like normal AP but can take the master role when the master AP fail).
Solved! Go to Solution.
will guide you through the steps.
will guide you through the steps.
This link guides me on how to join an AP to a master. But, how can I configure it to take over the master role when the master AP failed?. Please help.
the design has a built-in feature look at the FAQ
What if the other applications run the Mobility Express image too, will they still connect? A. We recommend that all access points run the Mobility Express image. One access point would be the master and the rest of the access points will connect as lightweight access points. The advantage is that all these access points can assume the role of the master, in case of a failover. Another access point with Mobility Express will assume the role of the master, in case the master is going offline (powered off, failure, etc)
1. So I just need to configure controller function for 01 AP, and all other APs need to place in the same network (eg: same VLAN) with no more configuration required to join to master AP.? Am I right?
2. And if AP come with mobility express image, it will join to master and it also can take the master role when master AP is failed. ? Am I right?
3. And if AP come with CAPWAP image, it will also join to master but can't take the master role when the master AP is failed? Am I right?
Please confirm. Thank for reply much.
1), 2) yes, with restriction below
3) Yes, if the AP only has capwapp image it CANNOT function as a controller (the image does not have the software to function as a master AP)
To have redundancy in the Mobility Express network, it must have two or more Cisco 1800 series Access Points. These Access Points should have AP Image type as MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE and AP Configuration as MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE. In an event of a failure of Master AP, another Cisco 1800 series AP is elected as a Master automatically. The newly elected Master AP has the same IP and configuration as the original Master AP.
Cisco 1800 series Access points which have the Mobility Express Image but AP Configuration is NOT MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE, they will not participate in the Master AP election process.
No specifying option 43 is not the only way an access point uses for controller discovery on the network.
search for lightweight ap controller discovery
The following layer 3 CAPWAP discovery options are supported:
1. Broadcast on the local subnet
2. Local NVRAM list of the previously joined controller, previous mobility group members, and administrator primed controller through the console port
3. Over the Air Provisioning (OTAP) (subsequently removed in version 18.104.22.168 code)
4. DHCP Option 43 returned from the DHCP server
5. DNS lookup for "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.localdomain"
Thank you. I want to ask:
1. After configuring mobility function on an AP, so the AP get management IP (ME IP address). After that, Can I configure AP IP address for itself (AP IP address like normal AP).
2. If Master AP [old] down, then another mobility express AP [new] will take the master role (controller management IP address and configuration of master IP as well). But If the [old] master AP comeback again, can it take back master role? or it just works like a normal AP (with AP IP address)?
Sorry for ask too much.
1) yes the AP part of the device will function normally, the controller part will go to a "standby" state
2) The Master election process of Cisco 1800 series APs is based on a set of priorities. An AP with the highest priority is elected as the Master AP, running Mobility Express controller function.
-> when the AP configured with the highes priority comes available again, a new master-election will occur and it will become the master.
NB! in the deployment guide is the advice NOT to configure a preferred master (I assume to avoid this fallback to a previous master ):
We recommend user not to define the preferred Master AP unless it is required for debugging or serviceability reasons.
Thank for the help,
1. Can you give me a link for guiding how to configure AP IP address by CLI? I just want to configure all AP with static IP before it joining the virtual controller.
2. Is IP address of Capwap image AP and mobility express image AP configured the same way?