cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure Mobility Express Access point (AP1852E)?

markstevenshpvn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all bros,

Assume I have 04 AP1852E access points with mobility express image. On the document page on Cisco, I just find how to configure an AP1852E as Mobility express controller and it said in a network we can have only 01 controller (so only 01 AP1852E access point can be configured with mobility express controller function).

So If I want to 04 APs work like this: In any time, only 01 AP is a master controller (it can also work as a normal AP to service clients), 03 other APs can join to the master AP and service clients but can take over the master role when the master router is failed. 

I know how to configure a master AP (AP with controller role). But please guide me configure other AP (working like normal AP but can take the master role when the master AP fail).

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution
11 Replies 11

This link guides me on how to join an AP to a master. But, how can I configure it to take over the master role when the master AP failed?. Please help.

the design has a built-in feature look at the FAQ

What  if  the  other  applications  run  the  Mobility  Express  image  too,  will  they  still  connect?   A.   We  recommend  that  all  access  points  run  the  Mobility  Express  image.  One  access  point  would  be  the  master   and  the  rest  of  the  access  points  will  connect  as  lightweight  access  points.  The  advantage  is  that  all  these   access  points  can  assume  the  role  of  the  master,  in  case  of  a  failover.  Another  access  point  with  Mobility   Express  will  assume  the  role  of  the  master,  in  case  the  master  is  going  offline  (powered  off,  failure,  etc)    

but you can configure a next-preferred-master also described in the Deployment Guide

Thank you,

1. So I just need to configure controller function for 01 AP, and all other APs need to place in the same network (eg: same VLAN) with no more configuration required to join to master AP.? Am I right?

2. And if AP come with mobility express image, it will join to master and it also can take the master role when master AP is failed. ? Am I right?

3. And if AP come with CAPWAP image, it will also join to master but can't take the master role when the master AP is failed? Am I right?

Please confirm. Thank for reply much.

1), 2) yes, with restriction below

3) Yes, if the AP only has capwapp image it CANNOT function as a controller (the image does not have the software to function as a master  AP)

Master AP Failover

To have redundancy in the Mobility Express network, it must have two or more Cisco 1800 series Access Points. These Access Points should have AP Image type as MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE and AP Configuration as MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE. In an event of a failure of Master AP, another Cisco 1800 series AP is elected as a Master automatically. The newly elected Master AP has the same IP and configuration as the original Master AP.

Note

Cisco 1800 series Access points which have the Mobility Express Image but AP Configuration is NOT MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE, they will not participate in the Master AP election process.

Dear pieterh,
I want to ask about the addresses of AP.

1. If I use a DHCP for assigning an address to APs, do I must specify option 43 (with value is management IP of master AP)?
2. Can I assign addresses to APs statically? For example, I want to configure addresses for APs by CLI (through the console), and just need to connect them to the wired network.

thank you!

Hi there,

No specifying option 43 is not the only way an access point uses for controller discovery on the network.

search for lightweight ap controller discovery

The following layer 3 CAPWAP discovery options are supported:
1. Broadcast on the local subnet
2. Local NVRAM list of the previously joined controller, previous mobility group members, and administrator primed controller through the console port
3. Over the Air Provisioning (OTAP) (subsequently removed in version 6.0.170.0 code)
4. DHCP Option 43 returned from the DHCP server
5. DNS lookup for "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.localdomain"

Hi pieterh,

Thank you. I want to ask:

1. After configuring mobility function on an AP, so the AP get management IP (ME IP address). After that, Can I configure AP IP address for itself (AP IP address like normal AP). 

2. If Master AP [old] down, then another mobility express AP [new] will take the master role (controller management IP address and configuration of master IP as well). But If the [old] master AP comeback again, can it take back master role? or it just works like a normal AP (with AP IP address)?

Sorry for ask too much.

1) yes the AP part of the device will function normally, the controller part will go to a "standby" state

2) The Master election process of Cisco 1800 series APs is based on a set of priorities. An AP with the highest priority is elected as the Master AP, running Mobility Express controller function.

-> when the AP configured with the highes priority comes available again, a new master-election will occur and it will become the master.

NB! in the deployment guide is the advice NOT to configure a preferred master (I assume  to avoid this fallback to a previous master ): 

Note

We recommend user not to define the preferred Master AP unless it is required for debugging or serviceability reasons.

Thank for the help,

1. Can you give me a link for guiding how to configure AP IP address by CLI? I just want to configure all AP with static IP before it joining the virtual controller. 

2. Is IP address of Capwap image AP and mobility express image AP configured the same way?

gabopano23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

I have a problem related to this issue. my WLC with ME on a 2800 AP has version 8.6 with subnet 10.76.17.X it has new AP model 1852e. New 1852e APs with 8.5.140.0 ME version have joined the WLC but cannot be managed. the new 1852e is on a different 10.76.16.x subnet. I have two problems.

1. New 1852es cannot be managed on the WLC. Is it because they are in a different network segment?

2. If you want to upgrade from WLC 2800e version 8.6 to 8.10. not done why? Any workarounds that you recommend?

here some pics...

Device ID: APA.......

Entry address(es):

IP address: 10.76.16.215

IPv6 address: FE80::AE4A:56FF:...........40  (link-local)

Platform: cisco AIR-AP1852E-A-K9,  Capabilities: Router Trans-Bridge

Interface: GigabitEthernet1/0/10,  Port ID (outgoing port): GigabitEthernet0

Holdtime : 150 sec

Version :

Cisco AP Software, ap1g4-k9w8 Version: 8.5.140.0

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2014-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

advertisement version: 2

Duplex: full

Power drawn: 24.800 Watts

Power request id: 48375, Power management id: 2

Power request levels are:24800 15400 0 0 0

Management address(es):

IP address: 10.76.16.215

-------------------------

Device ID: AP6.........

Entry address(es):

IP address: 10.76.17.158

IPv6 address: FE80::6E5E:3BFF:........8  (link-local)

Platform: cisco AIR-AP1852E-A-K9,  Capabilities: Router Trans-Bridge

Interface: GigabitEthernet1/0/5,  Port ID (outgoing port): GigabitEthernet0

Holdtime : 116 sec

Version :

Cisco AP Software, ap1g4-k9w8 Version: 8.5.140.0

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2014-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

advertisement version: 2

Duplex: full

Power drawn: 24.800 Watts

Power request id: 38455, Power management id: 2

Power request levels are:24800 15400 0 0 0

Management address(es):

IP address: 10.76.17.158

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: