cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure the Cisco switchport to the Airespace Wireless Controller

andtran
Level 1
Level 1

Per doc, the Airespace support multiple vlans and 802.1D, but it does not specify the trunk encapsulation for WC port 1 or 2. So what would be the switchport configuration for Cisco switch, trunk or access? We try to deploy 45 AP with multiple WLAN (SSID) that maps to different interface vlan (vlan ID). Each interface vlan then maps to the Port 1 (physical port). The client traffic has to tag with VLAN ID so that switch can route it the appropriate interface vlan gateway via trunking Port 1 WC. BUT I had no success of configuring trunking between WC and Catalyst switch.

5 Replies 5

sandjose
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The support on the WLC is 802.1q encapsulation .If you have multiple vlans then your cisco switch port should be on trunk mode.You also need to tag the interfaces with the appropraite vlans on the WLC.

if you could paste the interface config on the WLC and the cisco switch ,it would be better

We lost the https communication to the WC when configuring the switchport as trunk with 802.1q and native vlan same AP manager. However its all working now when configuring the switchport as trunk and access vlan with vlan id same AP manager. Trunk and Access Mode are on the same port, it is not logic at all.

WC VLAN ID 0 (untagged)= Native VLAN switchport config

WC vlan ID's other than zero are tagged.

We made it work in a hardway. You are right !! we had to untagged the mgmt interface, the SSID vlan are tagged while send the users vlan data via trunk ..Thanks !!

You can use a tagged VLAN for management if keeping the native vlan 1 is your standard.

Has anyone had success with port redundancy and STP? I have it setup but the WLC is not displaying the correct Designated Root (I have set the Bridge Priority to 65535, 49152). Do the Ports have to have Mirror Mode enabled?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card