cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to connect wlc 5508 on 2 switches for redundancy

dejash123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i plan implementation of WLC5508, but in documentation is not clear how to connect WLC5508 on two chassis for redundancy. I do it with WLC4404, where I have option to choose primary and backup port for managemant interface. I understand that in 5508 managemant interface is not mapped to any port.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

You can still define primary/secondary ports as long as you don't have LAG enabled. If you are trying to use two different switches then you shouldn't have LAG enabled anyway (unless it is a 3750 stack or vss)

You can still define multiple AP-Managers as well.  The Management interface, by default, is an ap-manager but it will not be an ap-manager on the backup port if you have an ap-manager defined for that port.....   Make sense?

Just think of the 5508 ports defined like a 4400, except that you don't have to have an AP-manager for each port unless you want one..

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configuring Link Aggregation (or LAG) in a WLC4400 or 5508 is equivalent to configuring Etherchannel.  It's recommended to use LAG if, for example, your WLC is connected to a 2975 or 3750/3750-E switch stack or a 6500VSS.

Enabling Link Aggregation (LAG)
https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/6.0/configuration/guide/c60mint.html#wp1277652

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

You can still define primary/secondary ports as long as you don't have LAG enabled. If you are trying to use two different switches then you shouldn't have LAG enabled anyway (unless it is a 3750 stack or vss)

You can still define multiple AP-Managers as well.  The Management interface, by default, is an ap-manager but it will not be an ap-manager on the backup port if you have an ap-manager defined for that port.....   Make sense?

Just think of the 5508 ports defined like a 4400, except that you don't have to have an AP-manager for each port unless you want one..

What confuses me is the part in config guide for WLC 6.0 that says for managemant and dynamic interfaces:

configure:

-Physical port assignement (for all controllers exept the 5500 series)

so i guess it means that you can not map managemant and dynamic interface on physical port.

In my lab I have 4402,

management on vlan 101 (primary port 1, sec 2)

ap-manager - vlan 101

dynamic int. on vlan 69,74 (pri 1, sec 2),79,650 (pri 2, sec 1)

port 1 is on switch 1

port 2 is on switch 2

If I don't have configuration option of physical assignement for managemant and dynamic int. on 5508, I'm in trouble.

Dejash123,

You can setup the 5508 just like any other WLC.  It's the code that will determine what you can and can't do.  Here is a link showing a configuration example with dynamic interfaces on seperate ports:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/6.0/configuration/guide/c60mint.html#wp1278779

Is there are reason you do not want to use LAG?

Hope this answers your question.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi, how are you?.

I am beginning to install 1 wlc 5508 with 2 Switches.  My idea is to use multiple interfaces AP Manager. Since a connection of the WLC will go to  SW1 and the other to the SW2.  In our network SSIDs will be 2. I have doubts as I must configure the ports of the WLC5508.  How many interfaces AP-Manager i must configure?.  These interfaces AP-Manager  must be associate to a physical port. The interfaces management and interfaces of SSIDs must leave all in the same port(trunk)?.

Sorry by my doubts.

Thanks.

Andres.

The last time I tried LAG on a 4402, it did not function properly with VSS. APs would keep bouncing. The switch was configured with whatever load balancing algorithm was suggested in the config guide and other such LAG advice was followed. A TAC call suggested that it was not supported.

Hi Weterry,

you're right, I do not use LAG, I have the management interface (primary port 1 - backup port 2) that act like AP-manager and AP-manager 2 for port 2, just like I do on 4402, but sometimes the clients who are associated to the AP's that are on port 2 can not authenticate.

Is it a bug on 5508?

I tried without AP-manager 2 and I think it works.

I have not read anywhere a clear explanation that is not necessery to have an AP-manager for 5508 unless you want one.

By the way I still have a problem with that strict CPU ACL if you remember.

dejash123
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for your answers but I still have a problem.

Some of you have suggested LAG, but I have redundancy between the two chassis (2 Cisco Cat 4500 switches), not between the two modules of one chassis.

I tried to make the design as it is a WLC4402, but even if everything worked well in the lab with 4402 does not behave well on 5508.

Now on 5508 I have:

management interface (ap-manager enable) - VLAN 101, primary port 1, backup port 2

ap-manager interface - VLAN 102, primary port 2

AP's are fine distributed on both physical ports (ap-manager's), but there's a problem with clients. When both the physical interfaces on WLC are UP, clients fail to authenticate when they associated to AP's that are on the second physical port. When I put all of AP's on just one physical port (ds1 or ds2, no metter) clients associete and authenticate fine, only on Monitor clients screen of WLC I see some clients on the other port (port with no AP's).

I think there is a problem with these two interfaces.

Is it necessary to have dedicated ap-manager on port 2 for WLC5508 or I can have only management interface (ap-manager enable)? 

Do you happen to see any errors on the switch like client seen on vlan 'x'?  Try this... maybe it will work or not (I use LAG too)... keep your ap-managers on the same vlan as your management interface which also should all be configured for native vlan.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

As I say I don't use LAG because WLC is connected on two 4500 switches.

I tried to make ap-managers on the same vlan as my mgmt interface, but I got a message - you already have interface in this vlan - or something like this.

I understand you want to connect to two different switches.... You should be able to add a dynamic ap manager interface using a different ip address....

My bad... for the 5508's your Management interface needs to be on a different vlan than any of your AP-Manager interfaces... that is why you got that error.

Also.... when you have both ds ports up, are you seeing errors on the switch. Verify your vlans are forwarding on the trunk ports.

-Scott

Maybe my question should require a new thread but it is very close to this one.  If I have two switches(3560s in HSRP) and I want to do redundancy from a WLC 5508.  Am I really limited to one trunk to each switch and the other six GigE Ports on the WLC collect dust?  (i.e. I can't have 2 LAG groups for redundancy?) Seems a shame if that is true.

Correct - you CANNOT have two LAG groups.  LAG is sort of an 'all-or-nothing' scenario in that if you enable LAG, all ports must connect to the same physical chassis.  They can connect to different modules within the chassis, but NOT to modules in DIFFERENT chassis.  If you need to support physical connections to two different switches/chassis, then you must disable LAG and use dynamic AP-Manager interfaces and statically assign to which ports they apply.  In your case, asking about the other 6 connections collecting dust, the number of interfaces connected depends on how many APs the 5508 is licensed for and supporting.  Depending on how many APs you have on the controller, you could connect the first 2 to one switch, and ports 3 and 4 to the other switch.  If you have a higher volume, connect more ports accordingly (e.g. 1-4 to switch 1, 5-8 to switch 2).

Regards,
Scott

Hi, how are you?.

I am beginning to install 1 wlc 5508 with 2 Switches.  My idea is to use multiple interfaces AP Manager. Since a connection of the WLC will go to  SW1 and the other to the SW2.  In our network SSIDs will be 2. I have doubts as I must configure the ports of the WLC5508.  How many interfaces AP-Manager i must configure?.  These interfaces AP-Manager  must be associate to a physical port. The interfaces management and interfaces of SSIDs must leave all in the same port(trunk)?.

Sorry by my doubts.

Thanks.

Andres.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card