Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to disable LAP syslog?

Hello all.

I'm using a 5508 WLC with a couple of LAP3502 APs.

The WLC itself is logging to a syslog server.

I didn't configure anything on the individual APs, but still I see them announced at the syslog server.

Now I'd like to disable AP syslogging: how do I do it?

Or better: would it be OK disabling syslogging from individual APs? Could I be missing some informations, or would it all be sent to the WLC, which is then writing logs to my syslog server?

Thanks and kind regards,

F:

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

there is no way to disable dual of to my knowledge. It was added in 4.2 to help trouble shooting.

What you can do though is add a bogus IP address then route that address to null 0. This way your AP aren't broadcasting syslog messages

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

I generally find no reason to go with a static IP on a lightweight AP.  The WLC does all the configuration and management, if I need to find a particular IP to telnet into, I can find it from the WLC pretty easily, and I need to enable the feature on the AP as well.  I don't leave it on personally.

Further, if the AP can't communicate with the WLC on it's static IP, it will fall back to DHCP to try and discover the WLC.  Having static IP on the lightweight AP tends to complicate matters, IMHO.

That being said, yes I have deployed wireless AP with static IP, and usually had to setup a DHCP scope on a switch/router somewhere to be able to fix issues, when I was remote.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at this doc to see if maybe you have ap syslog enabled.

To configure a global syslog server for all access points that join this controller, enter this command:

config ap syslog host global syslog_server_IP_address

To configure a syslog server for a specific access point, enter this command:

config ap syslog host specific Cisco_AP syslog_server_IP_address

show ap config global

Information similar to the following appears:

AP global system logging host.................... 255.255.255.255 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5.2/configuration/guide/c52lwap.html#wp1226578

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

there is no way to disable dual of to my knowledge. It was added in 4.2 to help trouble shooting.

What you can do though is add a bogus IP address then route that address to null 0. This way your AP aren't broadcasting syslog messages

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Hello Stephen,

I was also thinking of set a bogus IP address, because I do not like broadcasting syslog messages!

Still, it's a pity that it can't be disabled on the LAPs themselves.

As of your knowledge/experience, are there different logs being sent from the LAPs which would not be passed over to the WLC?

Thanks and regards,

F:

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The syslog for the AP was enabled so that if the AP was having issues joining it could send those messages to a server instead if having to console to the AP. what you can do is set DHCP option 7 in the Scope for the AP. it would then send any syslog to that address. If you don't set an address it stays as a broadcast message.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

So you are usually deploying LAPs with static IPs, right?

Kind regards,

F.

I generally find no reason to go with a static IP on a lightweight AP.  The WLC does all the configuration and management, if I need to find a particular IP to telnet into, I can find it from the WLC pretty easily, and I need to enable the feature on the AP as well.  I don't leave it on personally.

Further, if the AP can't communicate with the WLC on it's static IP, it will fall back to DHCP to try and discover the WLC.  Having static IP on the lightweight AP tends to complicate matters, IMHO.

That being said, yes I have deployed wireless AP with static IP, and usually had to setup a DHCP scope on a switch/router somewhere to be able to fix issues, when I was remote.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Hello Stephen...

Today I was wondering if I could change the config of my LAPs from their CLI.

I managed to access that devices via ssh but I can't do any "conf t" or such.

What I wanted to do is to set "no logging 255.255.255.255": do you know a way to get that made?

Thanks,

F.

You can enter the following in the AP:

debug capwap console cli

This should allow you to make the change.

-Scott

Hello there...

I can't do that command:

lap04#debug capwap ?

am      KAM-AP debug

client  CAPWAP Client Debug Options

ids     WIDS debug

mcast   CAPWAP MCAST Debug Options

mfp     CAPWAP MFP Debug Options

reap    CAPWAP REAP Debug Options

rm      CAPWAP RM Debug Options

Just enter the command it will not show up using the ?

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

OK, now it is working.

What is this command doing at all?

Will the WLC still manage the LAP if I make any changes on the LAP?

Thanks,

F.

It allows ios commands to be entered... Just don't get too Carrie away with that command or it can cause you issues:)

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

So if I do:

conf t

no logging 255.255.255.255

end

wr

it would still retain the WLC-steering, right?

BTW: when issuing "wr" I get

Building configuration...

[OK]

NVRAM Verification Failed

Is this still OK? Is the config still retained?

Thanks,

F.

Yes

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card