cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to handle the roaming issue after replacing AP 1131

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi we have  a lot AP1131 connected to WLC5508. Now we replaced one 1131 with AP3602 to hope to get band n in that area. After we replaced one AP1131, our PC can get band n and fast speed. However, it looks like some people cannot get band n when they walk into the new AP3602 area unless restarting PC or restart wireless NIC. So we think this is roaming issue. My question is how we can resolve the issue? Thank you

4 Replies 4

Chris Donkelaar
Level 1
Level 1

Have you run a "client debug <mac address>" on a client that's having issues to see what info you get there? If so, please post it.

What does the client logs tell you?

Any specific client model that is having this issue or is it random?

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am not sure what you mean. Where do i need to "run a "client debug <mac address>""?  Do i need to console the AP and run the command? 

The client only roams to the 5 GHz band if it actually offers better speed. That means that you should enable 40 MHz channels on 5 GHz.
Then the following must also be true for 802.11n (and faster) speeds: WMM enabled, WPA2 with AES (no WPA1, no TKIP).

Lastly the client needs an 802.11n NIC with fairly recent drivers. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Make sure the wireless NIC firmware is up-to-date.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card