cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to maximize wireless signal coverage on Aironet 2602i APs

Moule Ayalew
Level 1
Level 1

We just got 4 Aironet 2602i (standalone) APs and configured them to be used in our office (one on each floor ceiling). I guess we should have opted for the one with external antennas. Anyways, I would like to know

1. The default wireless signal coverage area for these APs (Aironet 2602i, with internal antenna)

2. How to maximize the coverage area (what should be configured? Optimize for range? Antenna gain?... or other stuff?)

3. Is it possible to use a wireless controller without changing the standalone image?

4. If not, is it possible to deploy CAP image on the APs, so that they can be used with the wireless controller?

Thank you

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So, a lot of this is "it depends", so I'll start with the two questions that have solid answers..

3.) No, if you want to use a WLC you will have to change the image away from the standalone image.

4.) Yes, you can convert the AP to use the CAPWAP image and attach to a controller

Take a look at Rasika's blog posts.http://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/lightweight-to-autonomous-conversion/

now, for the "it depends"

1.) There is no 'default' as you are thinking of it, there are too many variables for there to be a 'default'. Now there is a default radiation pattern for the antenna that you can find in the data sheet for the AP.

But default coverage...Data or Voice? what data rates do you need to support? How big of an area are you covering? How many devices will be on wireless? (devices not people)

All of this goes into the formulae to figure out how much coverage you'll get from a single AP.

2.) a lot of the same in the above. What are you looking to optimize for?

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. The default wireless signal coverage area for these APs (Aironet 2602i, with internal antenna)

There is no default coverage as it depends on the building construction  that will attenuate the signals  

2. How to maximize the coverage area (what should be configured? Optimize for range? Antenna gain?... or other stuff?)

the only way to maximize the signal is to set the transmit power to maximum

3. Is it possible to use a wireless controller without changing the standalone image?

No

4. If not, is it possible to deploy CAP image on the APs, so that they can be used with the wireless controller?

Yes as long as you have the ability to download the lightweight image  this requires a valid smartnet agreement unless your Cisco SE or Cisco Vendor can supply you with the image.

You can try to download it here:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284362257&flowid=34153&softwareid=280775090&release=15.3.3-JA1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

How to convert the access point can be found here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/video/11928901/lwapp-lightweight-mode-autonomous-conversion-and-vice-versa

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card