cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to setup a 1262 aironet for Wireless N over 54mb

defconrhall
Level 1
Level 1

I've been trying to figure this out as the documentation leads me to think this can only be set to 54mb on wireless N. How can I configure a "AIR-LAP1262N-A-K9" to have wireless speeds over 54mb?

The config guide only shows settings for up to 54, but the specifications indicate it could go up to 300.

Is there something simple that I am missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

U can get N speeds only if u have plugged all  the antennas and then if the AP is configured for either one of the below..

1>> Open Authentication with no encryption

OR

2>> WPA2 with AES as the encryption.

AND

WMM enabled and also with all MCS rates enabled..

Please do the same and this will help u in getting the N speeds..

Please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

U can get N speeds only if u have plugged all  the antennas and then if the AP is configured for either one of the below..

1>> Open Authentication with no encryption

OR

2>> WPA2 with AES as the encryption.

AND

WMM enabled and also with all MCS rates enabled..

Please do the same and this will help u in getting the N speeds..

Please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

This customer's setup has a wide variety of wireless cards connecting to it, and it seems several have difficulty talking with WPA2. There is no way to do it with plain WPA?

Thanks, as I did not know about the WMM requirement.

Nope there is no way!! the only option left is to go for OPEN AUTH + No Encryption..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

BTW --- This is standards based and not a Cisco thing... The IEEE wants to move away from TKIP and WPA. So they require you to use WPA2/AES CCMP or OPEN. Open is used for guest (hot spots).

If you find this helpful please rate all helpful post!

Thanks!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you can't use WPA2 and the client still wants N then as what George and Surendra has stated, use OPEN authentication.

Now if the client wants to use some form of security and still use "N" then I'd recommend getting a cheap USB wireless dongle.

BY the way, I have yet to see a wireless client who CANNOT support WPA2 and runs on "N". 

I forget the model of the cards that are having the issue, but one never connects on WPA2, and another connects and immediately disconnects over and over again.

The dongle solution will not work as these are tablets being moved around and used alot, and as banged up as they are now they will break off in no time.

I woud isloate the problem to determine what devices and clients ate having the issue. Find that out and we can perhaps look at the config of those clients that are having problems.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card