cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Upgrade Cisco Mobility Express Controller Image

shehrozceh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all experts, How can i upgrade only my Mobility Express Controller image ? I have only one AP which is ME Controller and it has running AIR-AP2800-K9-ME-8-5-120-0 currently but now i want to upgrade this ME Controller image to AIR-AP2800-K9-ME-8-5-131-0 but i'm unable to find any method for upgrading. I don't have any other APs to upgrade i just want to only upgrade my single AP which is ME Controller because this is my POC AP.

Reason for upgrading: Misbehaving, Can't show SSID sometimes and can't show connected clients on web interface therefore i need to upgrade.

Please suggest the method.

Thanks

18 Replies 18

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is the link to upgrade the sw on ME AP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9GRWbsVAT4

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

I already watch this video and try that method also from cli but no luck because this method will work when we have sub-ordinate APs joined with controller so the controller will push image to all other APs but in my case i only have single AP which is already controller but i want to upgrade as i mentioned..

CLI Ref: transfer download 

(Cisco Controller) >transfer download start

Mode............................................. TFTP
Data Type........................................ ap-image
TFTP Server IP................................... 192.168.200.200
TFTP Packet Timeout.............................. 6
TFTP Max Retries................................. 10
TFTP Path........................................ 8-5-131-0/

Do you want to Auto-Reboot after Complete? (y/N) y
Auto-Reboot check ENABLED!!
System will reboot within 5secs, ONLY upon Download COMPLETION to all Aps.
Configuration will be Saved before Auto-Reboot

DOWNLOAD may take some time......
Are you sure you want to start? (y/N) y

TFTP Code transfer starting.

No APs to upgrade.
Nothing to do for Image Upgrade.

the highlighted error i got when update from web interface or run the command transfer download start

If you follow the guide(above youtube video) then it will update the controller(ME AP) software.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

yes i follow, but it is not updating. Please tell me is this required that other APs are joined on controller for upgrading or we can perform upgrade on single AP ?

We can update on single AP.  I did in my lab and its working.

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Alright thanks, but i don't know why this isn't working for me. We don't have any other method to upgrade ME image ?

you can also do it via CLI:

Updating Cisco Mobility Express Network using CLI

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-2/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide_chapter_01000.html

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Thanks sandeep, don't know why this is annoying me. I tried both method

you can also try this method by using the command:

#archive download-sw /reload tftp://<tftp server ip address>/<filename.tar>

more info: https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-blogs/ap-1832i-mobility-express-software-upgrade-from-8-2-to-8-5/ba-p/3384973

Rergards

Dontf orget to arte helpful posts

Hi Sandeep,

On what code did you recreate this ?

It does not work for me either if there is no ap connected to ME wlc ? verified on 8.5.135. code.

from the Cisco Mobility Express Deployment Guide the upgrade looks straighforward

maybe you are doing this with the wrong AP image? i mean, not the ME image but the lightweight-only image?

Step 1   Log in to the Mobility Express user interface and choose Management > Software Update.

I procure ME image!

do you see the file being accessed in the tftp server logs?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: