Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade IOS for an WLC 4402

Hi,

I'm currently having difficulties on how to upgrade IOS for an WLC 4402.

Currently the IOS is 6.0.196.0 and uses LWAPP but we have purchased new Access point that uses CAPWAP.

The release notes I have read states that I can upgrade directly to IOS to 7.0.220.0 to support CAPWAP.

Can somebody tell me the procedures on how to upgrade the IOS and also the procedures on how to backup the configs.

I tried to search thru net but having difficulty on different approach that were given.

Regards,

Jay

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Upgrade to the 7.0.230.0 instead.

2.  Read the Release Notes FIRST before you deciding if you want proceed or not.

3.  Download from the Cisco website ALL the bootstrap (ER files) between the 6.0 up to the 7.0.230.0.

4.  Install and boot the WLC after each 'baby-step" upgrade of the bootstrap.

5.  Download, upgrade and reboot the WLC after you have installed the 7.0.230.0.  You can upgrade DIRECTLY from 6.0 to 7.0.220.0 or 7.0.230.0.

NOTE:  Make sure you use TFTPd32/TFTPd64 as a TFTP client/daemon.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Upgrade to the 7.0.230.0 instead.

2.  Read the Release Notes FIRST before you deciding if you want proceed or not.

3.  Download from the Cisco website ALL the bootstrap (ER files) between the 6.0 up to the 7.0.230.0.

4.  Install and boot the WLC after each 'baby-step" upgrade of the bootstrap.

5.  Download, upgrade and reboot the WLC after you have installed the 7.0.230.0.  You can upgrade DIRECTLY from 6.0 to 7.0.220.0 or 7.0.230.0.

NOTE:  Make sure you use TFTPd32/TFTPd64 as a TFTP client/daemon.

Hi Leolaohoo,

It was a success, although I was having a second thought with the bootstrap (ER files) if I was going to download it.

I still follow your advise. Just a thought, what will happen I was not able to download ER files in the WLC?

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Jay

I still follow your advise. Just a thought, what will happen I was not able to download ER files in the WLC

In some cases, you won't be able to upgrade the firmware.

Thanks for the ratings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card