Views
Helpful
Replies

I want my DHCP server to assign ip addresses to clients, but not the AP

netgus2010
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning, everyone,

I'm installing a vWLC with 3 AP 1240s and I'm trying to make my DHCP server assign addresses based on the VLANs I've configured in my WLAN. Currently, it is the AP who give addresses in the subnet where the AP are.

For exemple:

Dynanic interface = 192.168.5.0 with Primary DHCP Server configured 

The WLAN (Interface/Interface Group(G)) is configured with the Dynanic interface

but the AP gives an IP address in the 192.168.11.x network, the network to are the AP.

someone would have an idea.

Thanks for your help

9 Replies 9

Hi 

Most probably your AP is in flexconnect mode, which make sense as you have vwlc. But you need to setup the ssid as central so that the traffic from client comes to the WLC. Otherwise, the traffic is left on the local network, thus, using the local DHCP.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thank you for your return...

Indeed, I had to activate fexconnect... No choice.

I configured in interface the ip address of my DHCP server (Primary DHCP Server)

In advanced, I checked (Enable DHCP Proxy)

Normally that should be good, but I still have an AP IP address

What about the SSID in the advanced tab?  It is "FlexConnect Local Switching" checked?  It so, uncheck it.

What might be happening is that the users traffic is being droped on the local network and then they are getting DHCP from the local network.

The DHCP request must be send to the WLC and then the WLC will send the request to the proper DHCP server. DHCP proxy must be enable so that the WLC will act as DHCP client.

by default it's checked and if I uncheck It, I'm unable to mount the Wifi connection.

I understand, but I've tried a number of combinations and nothing changes.

I'll try to give more detail tomorrow on how the set is configured. Maybe it'll be easier to diagnose.

Thank for your time.

Ok. Keep in mind that vwlc in version 8.0 and newer does not support flexconnect with central switching but this is true for large deployment. For small deployment like yours, it does support according to the Cisco doc.

Hello,

I have read documents on the Internet and by activating some settings, I am able to get an IP address in the right VLAN, however, I no longer have connectivity.

With these options, I can see that the external DHCP immediately delivers an IP address, but from an iPhone, the connection takes a lot longer than one minutes. the icon goes up and the iPhone detects that there is no connection on the Internet.

For your information, we set up a vWLC because our WLC 2106 failed us and everything was functional. What I mean is the L2/L3 layer is OK. We double-checked just in case.

We configured "service-port" in access mode and the second in trunk mode. All APs are in access mode.

Thank you for your help.

Some screenshots:

WLAN Advanced parameters:

wlc1.pngwlc2.png

Interfaces:

wlc3.png

Guest interfaces configuration.wlc6.png

My APs

wlc5.png

Hi

Have you tried point your SSID to the Management interface instead dynamic interface?

What you mean you set up service port in access? 

Service port is for out of band management only.

Hello,

Sorry for the late return.

I made a diagram of what we made. This infra is inspired by a well known training site in the Cisco world. But if you think I should do otherwise, I'm a taker.

wlc7.png

To answer your question.
- we get an IP address in the VLAN 100, but we don't have connectivity like with dynamic interfaces.

I found the solution.

I lost to configure the VLAN mapping into FlexConnect tab and after that the communication passes without any problem.

Thank you for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: