cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Import and export config from WLC 5508 to 5520

DAVID
Level 3
Level 3

Is there an utility to export the config from a 5508 WLC and import same config to 5520 WLC assuming both WLC's are running same IOS versions? Or is TFTP just in this instance? 

8 Replies 8

I do not think there is a utility for this.

Anyway you have to do the initial config via CLI script. If you have 5508 backup you can try apply those CLI commands onto 5520 & see what commands get rejects.

Still I would check via GUI (screen to screen between 5508 & 5520) to make sure all settings are same.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

yes if you have time to test it i would tftp or copy and paste the configuration see what it accepts and after that compare the running configs with Diffmerge or Notepad+

The two are different and you will not be able to take a config from a 5508 to a 5520.  If you pull down the config from the 5520/8540 you will see that the config has extra information on the top 10-20 lines. You would need to at least have the 5520/8540 up and export the config and then paste the 5508 config into that removing all the other configuration information except for the extra info I mentioned earlier. If you take a 5508 and try to upload it, it will fail. 

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

My manager had heard of a utility provided by TAC that I'm assuming would take the config from the 5508 and edit the  config before uploading to 5520 to allow the 5520 to use it.  I'm not so sure such a utility exist but that I would at least ask.

ever find the name of this utility?

Here is a link to the tool in beta:

https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessConfigConverter/

Hope this helps

-Scott

-Scott

Has anyone performed this conversion successfully? What about all the encrypted lines, PSKs etc, that the tool doesn't convert I guess those all have to be reconfigured manually anyway? Is there a way to get an unencrypted output from the WLC? 

Also, any tips for generating a unique configuration (the 5520 will be net-new, not replace the 5508)? Just do a find-and-replace with names/ip addresses? 

I too am having problems with this. Some of the configuration works fine, but a lot of it doesn't seem to work.  With regards to the hashed out stuff I can configure these seperatly, which isn't a huge problem.

I just thought this tool would work a little better.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card