cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Increase Coverage for my AP801 (integrated 881W)

jaesposito
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have an integrated 881W with a built in 801 access point.  I'm interested in increasing the range of my AP.  I'm interested in considering any configuration changes while still maintaining support for N.  I've included a copy of my running config.

As well, I've heard of high gain antennas.  I'm using the default antennas that came with the 881W.  If there are better antennas that I can buy to increase my range, I'm interested in considering that as well.  If you have suggestions, a link to the specific antenna(s) would be appreciated.

Thank you all for the help!

James                  

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  The AP801 is only 802.11 b/g/n radio.  Only the 890W's on-board WAP is capable of 802.11 a/b/g/n.

2.  Don't bother experimenting on the high-gain antennas.  Sure you can "use" them and the client (located far away from the router/WAP but the router/WAP will NOT be able to "hear" the client.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You want to increase range in what environment? The 881w has dipole antennas and to replaced them with a higher gain antenna might help but might not really extend the rf signal to areas where you might need. You need to remember that your device signal also hast to get back to the ap and that is why increasing power or using higher gain may not work. Here is an analogy people tend to use to explain using higher gain antennas with devices that can't match the gain or power. "Like an adult playing catch with a child, the child only can throw the ball as far as he or she can".

The best way to extend coverage is to add more access points.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

James,

Alot of people mistakenly purchase a WAP built-in to a router because "hey, there's a WAP in it already" but didn't realize WHERE the router/WAP will be sitting.  Most of the time the router/WAP will be positioned in a remote corner somewhere where only the rodents will benefit from the wireless signal.

You ain't the first nor will you be the last.

You might meet someone who'll whisper in your ear about taking a coax cable and "extend" or "drag" the antenna away.  I'll tell you that this will NOT work at all and will only degrade your wireless coverage even further.

You might find a signal "extender" or a "repeater" but this will only extend your signal to a certain degree but at the cost of lower transmission rate.

Scott's recommendation is the only way:  Get more WAPs. 

Thanks Scott and leolaohoo.

My 881W is already located dead center of my small house (2100 square feet under air) as I moved it there recently to get it out of my bedroom closet.  Since I'm unlikely to move it, would I be better served disabling the built in access point and buying one of the Aironet access points?  If this makes sense, what access point would give me the greatest coverage?

I'm contemplating a Zmodo wireless video survelliance system and want to extend my wireless coverage for all of the cameras on the corners of the house.

Thanks again for the help!

James

Since I'm unlikely to move it, would I be better served disabling the built in access point and buying one of the Aironet access points?

Leave it on.  It won't hurt.

If this makes sense, what access point would give me the greatest coverage?

Doesn't make any difference.  The main question is WHERE you're going to put your WAP and HOW MANY.  You have several ways of deploying.

1.  You can put WAPs where there's the highest likelyhood of wireless usage;

2.  You can put WAPs where there's some wireless usage; or

3.  You won the state lottery and you want wireless in every nook and crany.

Let me provide more information. 

Imagine that my house is a rectangle and that my existing 881W is located in the center.  I am unlikely to move the 881W as it will remain in the center.  I am envisioning installing WiFi security cameras in each of the four corners of the rectangle house.  Since funds arent unlimited, I'd prefer to have one strong AP that would cover all four corners. 

Could I buy a single Aironet and install it in the dead center of the house and potentially cover the whole house including the four corners?  The house is one story ranch and is roughly 85 square feet wide and 25 feet long.

Currently, the 881W signal is weak but still alive in the four corners.  If the Aironet APs have a much stronger signal than the built in 881W, then this might extra a stronger signal to the corners.

Thoughts?

James

I'd prefer to have one strong AP that would cover all four corners.

Tricky.

Divide your rectangular house into two square zones.  Put the WAP/router in one end and get another WAP to the other end.

You have four wireless IP cameras.  I personally DO NOT recommend all four to go to a single WAP.  I don't care whether you are streaming SD or HD videos.  It just ain't "right".

For the second WAP (and since you don't have a WLC), you may want to consider an 1140 (which you can run as autonomous WAP).

Is the 1140 likely to have a larger range than the built-in in my 881W?

James

I would say no... TX power is regulated by the FCC can you get better RSSI, you might, but it might not be enough for you IP cameras. I had the same unit as you and now I have a 1941w... Same coverage in my house. I have a WLC so what I did was indoor mesh which help expand my coverage at home, but I want wireless when I was outside of my house along with coverage inside. One ap isn't going to do it for you. That's just my opinion.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Is the 1140 likely to have a larger range than the built-in in my 881W?

The WAPs all have similar power.  You can't have a "powerful" WAP because you there's a fine line between "personal" use of radio transmission and "commercial grade".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: