Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter Release Controller Mobility for AireOS and Catalyst 9800

raymond.lucas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I’m looking at some slides from Cisco Live Barcelona (Intro to 9800 Wireless Controller – BRKEWN-2670) and it has a short section on Inter Release Controller Mobility (IRCM) for AireOS and Catalyst 9800.

The headline is, “Seamless roaming b/w Catalyst 9800 and AireOS8.8 MR1(3504/5520/8540)” with a side note to say, “Also supported on AireOS 8.5MR4 Special.”

I believe 8.5MR4 = 8.5.140 which is available.  As far as I can see its release notes make no mention of this feature.

Has anyone given this a go yet?  Any idea if it works with the  5508?  My guess is it probably does, but might not be a supported feature.

Cheers,

Ray

15 Replies 15

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3
If they don’t mention it in the release note then it won’t will be available.

Not sure if you’ve seen this guide below which explains very clearly all the limitations of the respective software versions, this was last revised 10/01/2019

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_c9800_wireless_controller-aireos_ircm_dg.pdf

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>

Yes, I had seen that document thank you.  The Cisco Live presentation I refer to was presented in Barcelona 27 Jan-1 Feb, so hopefully it should be quite up to date!

I now think my assumption that 8.5MR4 = 8.5.140 is incorrect.  The "TAC Recommended AireOS Builds" makes this note under 8.5:

If Cisco 9800 controller compatibility with AireOS 8.5 is required, contact TAC for an "8.5MR4 IRCM" image, or send mail to wnbu-escalation@cisco.com.

So I'll email them and see what I get.  I am also waiting on a local SE to get in touch, but he's a busy guy so who knows when that will be.

Thanks for you time.

Ray

In that case, it might be possible if they have a IRCM image for the version 8.5 which you need to acquire via Cisco TAC. Your local Cisco SE should also be able to assist with that query.

Let us know on the outcome.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My understanding is that if your AirOS controller below 8.8 can not do Secure Mobility (CAPWAP) which is required to join the 9800 mobility group.

And the roaming will only be Layer 3 roaming not layer 2 between the AIROS 8.8 and the 9800.

You could have an AIROS 8.8 between the 8.5 WLC and the 9800 but that will not support seamless roaming.

There is a note:

1. Encrypted Capwap/Secure mobility is NOT new mobility / Hierarchical mobility.
  2. 8.5 MR1 supports encrypt mobility only across another Aireos controller and is a global configuration i.e. once enabled
    it can no longer communicate with another peer using EoIP and is not IRCM compatible with catalyst 9800 wireless
    controller

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_c9800_wireless_controller-aireos_ircm_dg.pdf

From this the only way would be to use 8.8 or above.

There is also another not saying:

This feature is functional only in on 3504, 5520 and 8540 controllers, so from that the 5508 would not work

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Haydn.

My other reply crossed paths with your post, but as per it, yes I have seen the document you refer to and the limitations.  The Cisco Live presentation I refer to was presented in Barcelona 27 Jan-1 Feb, so hopefully it should be quite up to date as to the existence and use of 8.5MR4.  The "TAC Recommended AireOS Builds" document also makes reference to using 8.5MR4 for "9800 controller compatibility with AireOS 8.5" so I have emailed someone about that.

I do fear there will not be a build for the 5508, but it won't hurt to ask.

Thanks for your time in answering,

Ray

Just been told from contact inside Cisco:

IRCM requires 8.5MR4 on 5508/8510/5520/8540/3504 etc to work with 9800

He will see if he can find the exact document that says this

8.5MR4 = 8.5.137.98:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-wireless-mobility-subjects/85mr4-interim-build-availability/td-p/3697408

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Well the comments from your contact make me feel more optimistic :)

And that thread you link to makes it sound like 8.5MR4 did indeed become 8.5.140.

Thanks again.

Ray

jturner2720
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old thread, but it seems relevant.

On the recommended AireOS release page it's still saying for 8.5 to contact TAC for a special for IRCM. However 8.8 has the 8.8.125 release which includes it (implying that all future releases of 8.8 will also have it?)

Will the 8.5 train get IRCM folded in to the normal releases or are you stuck with TAC specials until the support on 5508s runs out?

I guess this is not known yet (publicly), but my assumption would be that it will be added in the general 8.5 train, maybe in the next release. As the previous release is still fairly fresh, I don't expect a new 8.5 release in the next 3-4 months.

I realize this is an old thread but I've received an update. 

8.5.164.0, released a couple of weeks ago, has IRCM included. Here is the note from TAC:

You can download from the cisco.com webpage the enw code 8.5.164.0 that includes the Inter-Release Controller Mobility (IRCM) in order to enable seamless mobility between Cisco AireOS and Cisco Catalyst 9800 controllers:

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/282600534/type/280926587/release/8.5.164.0?i=!pp

“This Image/Release is used ONLY for C9800 IRCM Compatibility.”

Release notes, What's New in Release 8.5.164.0:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85mr6_ircm.html

Good spotting.  Better late then never I suppose...

I read through some more of the release notes. Another thing to note is that it removes the support for New Mobility architecture. We use 3650s and 3850s as mobility agents so that's a problem.

DamianGerard
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cable modem router C7000-100NAS.

I can't seem to figure out why when I ping the default gateway(192.168.0.1) I get high pings ranging from 8ms to 500 ms, this is NEVER below 2ms as it should be. I've even tried to connect using wired connection but still couldn't get something like as low as <4. I've tried disconnecting everything else, restarting/resetting the router.

Does it have anything to do with the cable/router being two in one?

This greatly effects my gaming ping as well as streaming to my Nvidia Shield.

@DamianGerard This sounds like something completely different to what is being talked about here. Please create a new thread for your question.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card