Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS-XE with guest anchor on WLC (AOS based) - web auth parameters

PWJPW
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team

We have a customer using a Catalyst IOS-XE based switch/controller with a mobility tunnel set up to a traditional WLC (AOS-based) guest anchor for web authentication.

Recently, an update to traditional AOS WLC <> AOS WLC (8.5 I believe) introduced new capability for the web authentication redirect whereby the AP MAC address was now visible by the guest anchor and thus passed in the redirect to the external webauth page, i.e. https://my-external-portal.com/splash?switch_url=xxx&ap_mac=11:22:33:44:55:66 whereas prior to this release it wan't able to determine the AP MAC from the foreign controller.

I wanted to ask if there is a way to get this to work when the foreign in based on IOS-XE so that we can determine the AP MAC when it reaches our external webauth page. Or, is there any other way we can know the AP in any of the RADIUS packets that go to our external RADIUS server from the guest anchor, in order to determine the AP or location.

Thanks,

James

5 Replies 5

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Adding "aaa_policy" under "wireless profile policy" shoould do the trick:

wireless aaa policy CWA-AAA-Policy
 nas-id option1 ap-name
 nas-id option2 ap-mac

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please Rate Helpful Responses ***

Hi Jesus,

It is the WLC that performs the RADIUS communication from the guest anchor though? So does this mean that this will pass over the tunnel from the IOS-XE controller to the WLC controller, which can then use it for RADIUS to the external server?

Thanks,

James

When using Anchors wlan profile and policy profile must match that on the foreign so you need to add it in both.

Take into consideration taht authentication and authorization is performend between foreign controller and RADIUS server. But accounting is done between foreign and RADIUS after autorization, and anchor and RADIUS onde in Run state.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please Rate Helpful Responses ***

Hi Jesus.

That doesn't seem to be the case, we're seeing both authentication and accounting packets always come from the guest anchor controller, not the foreign... Remember also that we are using a WLC (AireOS) for the anchor, and Catalyst (IOS-XE) for the foreign.

Thanks

Hi Jesus

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card