Views
Helpful
Replies

iPhone/iPad Connectivity Issues with 5508 WLC's

pennwestenergy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are implementing a new corporate wireless network with Cisco 5508 WLC's and C3602I LWAP's. We are not running any RADIUS or EAP at the moment and are starting with WPA2 w/ AES with a pre-shared key to begin piloting.

The issue we are having is iOS based devices (iPhone/iPad) do not seem to want to connect. We just get a could not join wireless network messages. We have had success with several Windows based laptops, my MacBook connects, as well as several different Android devices.

Looking at the logs on the WLC I see these entries which correspond to the MAC address of my iPhone.

*apfMsConnTask_6: Jul 17 17:25:20.620: %APF-3-CHECK_SUPP_RATES_FAILED: apf_utils.c:376 Could not check supported rates. Missing Supported Rate. Length :0. Mobile MAC: 24:ab:81:92:4d:97.

Does anyone have any ideas or have run into this problem before?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This is happening with multiple iDevices?  Can you try to reboot one of those iDevices, because it seems to be an issue with the device and not the wireless.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Client load balancing is not enabled, correct?

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The error is with psk... Looks to be like a client issue so upgrade the driver and delete the wireless profile and create it again. Your running the latest code on the 7.2 or you on the 7.3. As you know windows 8 has issues unless you run the latest 7.0, 7.2 code or 7.3.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

31 Replies 31

We have several deployments involving 5508 WLC but never encountered this problem.

May I ask, what model of APs you've got?

Can you check your data rates settings in 802.11a/n and 802.11b/g/n in your WLC and post it here?

Regards,

Dave

I too have many installs with no issues whith the iDevices.  First off, can they join an open ssid you create?  Then maybe try to create a new ssid with only WPA2/AES enabled with a simple pre-shared key and see if the devices connect.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Two of our SSID's are just WPA2/AES with PSK. We also have a guest network which is open and uses NCS for web based authentication. I will try and just create a fourth SSID that is open and see if I get connected. I will post the results back.

Thanks,

Andrew

Interesting... created an open SSID and still could not connect with the iPhone. Laptop connected and was good to go right away.

Enable Fast SSID Change if not enabled and try again.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

That appears to be already enabled.

Thanks,

Andrew

This is happening with multiple iDevices?  Can you try to reboot one of those iDevices, because it seems to be an issue with the device and not the wireless.

-Scott

Client load balancing is not enabled, correct?

-Scott

Tried that with no luck. I am trying to track down a coworker who has an iPhone the same as mine.

We have client load balancing disabled but client band selection is enabled.

Andrew

I would disable that for now and see.  Again.... I have done many installs and always test with my iphone 4 or my iPad with no issues.  Might have to take a look at your configuration.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

It looks like it might be my phone

A co-worker was able to connect with an identical iPhone. Thanks for all your help.

Andrew

I kind of figured that and thats why I usually test with various devices.  Maybe power down your iphone and power it back up might fix it.  One thing is to forget the network and manually add it back.

-Scott

We have 'Fast SSID change' enabled on all of our controllers, but it has no effect (a message just pops up that says "Unable to Join"). Try turning the iOS into 'Airplane Mode' and forget all of the SSIDs that you broadcast. Turn your radios back on a try to connect again. I run in to this issue a lot with users joining our webauth SSID first, then attempting to join our WPA2 SSID.

Yeah... Fast SSID change is required if your switching between SSIDs, but doesn't help if the device is having issues connecting. So try different encryption methods and see if it works with another method or not.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: