cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a bug in GUI of 5508 WLC that would show the WLAN mapped to Mgmt rather than Interface Group?

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

I have been looking at a WiSM farm and the main WLAN Profile across the entire farm shows the profile mapped to the management interface.  A quick look at the list of clients, however, shows the clients all mapped to different VLANs configured on the WLC.

It is as if the GUI is not showing an Interface Group, or showing that a WLAN is mapped to an Interface group.  Another scenario would be as if there was a bug that dropped the profile's clients onto other VLANs if the profile was mapped to the management interface.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A few things... Are you using AP Groups or AAA Override?  These can place the users in a different interface than the management interface which your wlan is set to. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A few things... Are you using AP Groups or AAA Override?  These can place the users in a different interface than the management interface which your wlan is set to. 

-Scott

-Scott

What I discovered was that the main WLAN was mapped to the management interface, and AP Group was overriding the setting.  However, what I found was a lot of access points never got assigned to the AP Group, so they were sitting in the default group and I can only wonder what the service was like with "holes" in the coverage on the main WLAN that is meant for production.

Moving forward, I think I will replace this Farm with a 5508 and use an interface group on the main wlan and do away with the ap groups.  That way, an AP can boot up and be in the default group and will work..That way technicians don't have to remember what ap group to configure, etc.

Default groups are fine as long as you will have all the SSID's available on all the access points. AP Groups have certain benefits but depends on the end design. With the newer code versions, there is an RF Profile that you can use called out-of-box which new AP's that join will be placed in the out of box AP Group. This group will have the radios shut until the AP's are moved to the appropriate AP Group. Either way works well, just depends on what you want to utilize moving forward. 

-Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card