cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to see client roaming activity on a Cisco 2504 wireless LAN controller?

Sam Brynes
Level 1
Level 1

Does the Cisco WLC have sufficient logging to keep track of clients that do fast roaming (e.g. 802.11r, 802.11k, 802.11v, 802.11w) between access points on the same WLC? I want to see that clients are NOT simply repeating the entire re-auth process when they switch between different APs that are broadcasting the same SSID.

4 Replies 4

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As far as i know no for logging.

You could do some debugs to view the roam process, or over the air packet captures to verify that it is happening as you want

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Haydn Andrews wrote:

As far as i know no for logging.

You could do some debugs to view the roam process, or over the air packet captures to verify that it is happening as you want

Thanks. What kind of debug commands would you recommend? Would I run the debug command from the WLC, or do I need to SSH directly into the access point?

Check this posts: 

How to debug client roaming - the 'deep dive'

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/how-to-debug-client-roaming-the-deep-dive/ta-p/3137412

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

craig.beck
Level 1
Level 1

As a starter you could just pick a particular client and use:

debug client <MAC_ADDRESS>

...at the WLC CLI.

You will see the authentication/roam process for that client only.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card