cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

joining access points to 8510 controllers in SSO

David James
Level 1
Level 1

If I have a mix of Cisco 3500 and 3600 series access points that I want to join a Cisco 8510 contollers running in SSO(HA) mode can I just create one scope on my Windows DHCP server to include both option 43 and 62 for the access points allowing both flavors of AP's to share the same subnet.  Is option 62(vendor VCI) even necessry?

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think you mean option 60? That is optional. It might be easier to use DNS and create a record for Cisco-capwap-controller and point that to each of your wlc's management up address. Option 43 works also.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So is option 43 and option 60 even necessary?  I will be running both Cisco 3500 and 3600 series accces points. We want to avoid having to create  separate dhcp scopes for each model of AP. We are going to be migrating 800+ access points from WCS 7.2 over to Prime NCS 7.4.  We are wanting to do the migration one site at at time.

Upgrade from wlc's to prime has no affect on what APs will join what WLC. I only use option 43 and or DNS when I have new APs out of the box. Once the ap is joined, I typically disable option 43 or remove the DNS entry. Remember that the joining of an ap to a WLC is different from what APs should be assigned or joined to what WLC. Assigning or telling an ap what WLC it should join is by setting the primary and secondary WLC in the APs high availability tab.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a link to what you need to do when your APs have joined the WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card