Views
Helpful
Replies

Lightweight AP replacement method

Thibault BRISSE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have to replace 500 old APs by 500 new APs (with no change about the configuration, architecture etc). I would like to know if there is a way to automate new APs configuration like AP Group, admin status, mode (local, flexconnect), location and hostname.

Wireless architecture is composed with CTR8510, CTR2504, ISE and Prime Infrastructure 1.4.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Thibault

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi 

I do not think you can automate all of these.

AP mode you have to set it manually (by default Local mode & any other modes you have to set it once register to a WLC)

Hostname/Location also unique to each AP, so you have to configure them individually.

If you are familiar with WLC CLI commands you can script those & apply in bulk.

Even though it is time consume, I would do proper staging (connect these AP to network & register them to a WLC & then set Name, Location,mode, AP group, AP High Availability - if required). In this way AP will already got the WLC running image & AP replacement work will be smoother (very little downtime) & guaranteed there won't be any AP registration issues.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses **** 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi 

I do not think you can automate all of these.

AP mode you have to set it manually (by default Local mode & any other modes you have to set it once register to a WLC)

Hostname/Location also unique to each AP, so you have to configure them individually.

If you are familiar with WLC CLI commands you can script those & apply in bulk.

Even though it is time consume, I would do proper staging (connect these AP to network & register them to a WLC & then set Name, Location,mode, AP group, AP High Availability - if required). In this way AP will already got the WLC running image & AP replacement work will be smoother (very little downtime) & guaranteed there won't be any AP registration issues.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses **** 

Thibault BRISSE
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Rasika,

Unfortunately, you confirm what I thought :-(

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card