cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking to upgrade our Cisco Wireless solution

ethutchinson
Level 1
Level 1

We have 4 Cisco 4402 WLCs controlling about 100 AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9 Access points. All of the controllers are running 7.0.235.3. We dont want to have replace all the APs (even though we should)so I was wondering which newer Cisco controllers will work with that AP model?

Anybody know this ?

Thanks

22 Replies 22

Same way with licensing. You can get add-on license for future growth.

Yes you order licenses as usual. Just the deployment changed since 3504/5520 WLC as they use "right-to-use" licensing. AKA you just confirm the WLC you have the licenses, allowing deployment/replacement in real time without further paperwork.

I probably should clarify my question on licensing. It is still by AP. Correct?

It is licensed by AP count.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes it is. Please also have a look at Cisco One licensing model. It's a bit more expensive, but includes Prime Infrastructure, MSE and other product licenses. You might even get a good upgrade offer for it.

Just curious, Does Cisco offer any Virtual controllers that would fit my needs?

There are virtual controllers but your design might change with those. Also the hardware requirements need to be there for full TAC support. It really comes down to your overall design. Then you should be able to narrow down what you should implement.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

There is a Virtual WLC, but it's more for small setup or to control AP in branch offices via VPN, where AP are supposed to work even the controller is unreachable.

In your case with stable 1G/10G-LAN and redundant WLC, I personally recommend to do it in classical way with hardware WLC and AP in local mode. Majority of the cost will be caused by the AP license for the WLC and not by the base controller itself, no matter virtual or hardware.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card