Views
Helpful
Replies

Low data rates with 802.11AC AIR-AP1832I-E-K9 with ME

l.buschi
Level 2
Level 2

Hello, 

I configured my 1832 APs with 8.10.122 release Mobility Express.

My computer just close to the AP shows a data rate of 86,7 Mbps.

With my home zyxell, same place, same channel, same computer I have a data rate of 433,3Mbps.

Any idea?

7 Replies 7

l.buschi
Level 2
Level 2
I meant with my home zyxell low cost access-point

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Well make sure your channel width on 5ghz is set to at least 40mhz. Also make sure you are not connected on 2.4ghz, because the channel width is only 20mhz. You also might want to check your other wireless ap and compare the specs so that you are testing apples to apples.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

abache
Level 1
Level 1

It would appear you are using a different data rate when connected to the 1832 vs the Zyxel. When connected to the 1832, your data rate is equivalent to MCS 8 on a 20Mhz channel. When connected to the Zyxel, it's MCS 9 on a 80Mhz channel.

You can see the MCS table here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac#Data_rates_and_speed

So in summary, try connecting to your 1832 with an 80Mhz channel too - it should be reported as the same then as the Zyxel.

Here is a good guide for throughput testing also, so you can compare. Just make sure you have the 1832 configured properly to be able to compare.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/212892-802-11ac-wireless-throughput-testing-and.html
-Scott

Many tks, I think the problem is exactly the 80MHz channel. In order to set 5GHz for 80Mhz channel, do I have to fix a channel? Actually channel is set to automatic and there is no possibility to choose 80MHz.

No, you just need to set the channel width and let the ap choose the channels. That is the preferred method, now, you can set the channel also if that is what you want to do.
-Scott

Hi

Under Mobility Express 802.11ac Access Point Wireless settings, you can configure the Channel and Channel Width. 

If you are deploying a number of AP's or you see a lot of competing AP's on your channels or you see a lot of non-802.11 RF noise, then it's probably worth setting your channel manually. And if you need to select it manually and want to do channel bonding, I strongly recommend you find a contiguous group of 4 channels where the air is clean as this will make the Dynamic Channel Bonding process work a whole lot better.

If however you have a small number of APs's, have a clean spectrum and the vast majority of your channels are free, then feel free to set Channel to Automatic.

The other setting you need to consider is Channel Width. As you have a Wave2 AP in your possession, it will allow clients to utilise 80Mhz channels - so long as the NIC in the client device has this functionality of course. Usually only high-end laptops and phones with quality 802.11 NIC's support this kind of data rate. So you can try setting this option to 80Mhz if you wish and see if that helps you achieve the data rates you're looking for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card