cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management IP issue

Chris Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

I have several Aironet 1231G APs I am configuring as part of a new network. I want to have 3 VLANs (Vlans 2,3,4). Is there a way I can put the management IP, which will be the IP address for BVI1, on the vlan 2 subnet? It looks like the way I have it setup it is only allowing me to use bridge-group 1 as the "routed IP and not bridge group 2, which is assigned to Vlan 2. Is this possible? Thanks for any help in advance,

Chris                  

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With autonomous AP's, the management or BVI needs to to untagged. So if vlan 2 is your management vlan, then set that as your native vlan and use bridge group 1 which is used for the native vlan. You can't tag vlan 2 if that is for management.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

When you connect the access point to the wired LAN, the access point links to the network using a bridge virtual interface (BVI) that it creates automatically. Instead of tracking separate IP addresses for the access point's Ethernet and radio ports, the network uses the BVI.

When you assign an IP address to the access point using the CLI, you must assign the address to the BVI. Beginning in a privileged EXEC mode, follow these steps to assign an IP address to the access point's BVI:

Command

Purpose

Step 1

configure terminal

Enter global configuration mode.

Step 2

Interface bvi1

Enters interface configuration mode for the BVI.

Step 3

ip address address mask

Assigns an IP address and subnet mask address to the BVI.

Hope this will help you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card