Views
Helpful
Replies

Max mounting height for 3802i AP

Jagan1976
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Anyone have info on what is the max height an AP can be mounted?

Could not find this info on any doc.

I am using 3802i (internal antenna) type APs and will be installing in a high ceiling environment.

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Get a wireless site survey done.

View solution in original post

Leo is right.... get a survey done so that you know what you are getting. Environments are different along with how one designs for overlap and density which can affect your overall RF.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Get a wireless site survey done.

Leo is right.... get a survey done so that you know what you are getting. Environments are different along with how one designs for overlap and density which can affect your overall RF.
-Scott

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Leo said get a site survey done. You will generally find that internal APs mounted above 3-4m will have issues with signal strength to/ from the devices

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Hi,

ok, so having ascertained that from experience an indoor AP with integrated antennas (3802i) should generally be mounted at a maximum height of 3-4m.

Here: 1700/2700/3700 Access Points Deployment Guide  or here: 4800 Access Point Deployment Guide it's specified:

"When practical position the APs as close to the users as possible ideally suspending the AP-4800 12-15 feet (enterprise ceiling height) when practical to do so. See section above on electrical box mounting for pictures."

"If the AP is 30 feet in the air, (that is an additional 30 feet farther the signal has to go, “best case”). When configuring coverage for aisles, try to use directional (Patch) antennas on the wall and shoot down the aisles; or use low-gain Omni-directional antennas on the ceiling (such as dipoles) or units with integrated antennas as high gain omnidirectional antennas tend to have more nulls.

In your opinion/experience, could we increase this height using APs with external antennas (3802e) combined Low-Gain Dipole Antenna like AIR-ANT2524? and what could be an optimal height before choise to use a patch antenna?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card