Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of similtaneous CAPWAP Joins onto a 8510

Scott Gillies
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Have a customer who is rolling out WiFi to many sites with thousands of APs.

What is the maximum number of APs performing a CAPWAP join that the 8510 can simultaneously support?

Is this consistent across all controller models and software versions?

Is there a link to such data?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think there is such data.  The WLC's will be able to support up to the license count that is allowed.  So that being said, if the controller supports 1000 access points and you reboot the controller, then eventually all the access point will join maybe within 5 minutes of the controller being functional and able to be discovered.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for all your input. I have now found this PDF

http://cisco-pvt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/CiscoFlexconnect.pdf

Which states that for version 7.2 firmware

Data Sheet75005508
Concurrent AP Joins1000500
Concurrent AP Image Downloads1000500

So I presume the 8510 is something similar

Excellent document .... Yes..8510 is the elder brother of 7510 when it comes to strength and speed ... However, do remember that this presentation is by a Channel systems Engineer .. We all know the difference between the Marketing guys' words and the actual data.. ;)

Cheers,

Manish

SHUBHAM GUPTA
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott, 

8510 WLC can support up to 6000 AP's.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/8500-series-wireless-controllers/data_sheet_c78-713207.html

Similarly you can check the datasheet of other WLC models to know the maximum number of AP's they can support.

This link also might be useful :-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/wireless-lan-controller/index.html?referring_site=smartnavRD#~Products

Do let me know if you have any queries or concerns.

Regards,

Shubham

Don't forget to rate helpful posts and also mark this question as answered.

Hi

Thanks for the info but this is not what I am asking.

With a large rollout at a number of sites we wish to know the timescales involved with NEW APs registering on the controller and configuring them etc.

I am sure the WLCs can only manage a fixed number of concurrent CAPWAP registrations at a time - e.g. join request, download software etc, rejoin ready for config.

What is the max number of 'new' CAPWAP registration requests that the 8510 can simultaneously handle? And is this documented per device model/firmware version?

Adding to what Scott has mentioned , I would say that this would depend on a few factors: The traffic congestion/latency between the APs and the WLC, the bandwidth available between the WLC and the APs. When you say, "thousands of APs", I assume that a lot of them may be across a WAN link and others may be local to the WLC. The local ones would be the faster ones to join and download the firmware. The offsite APs may take varied time depending on the latency and bandwidth. As far as the WLC is concerned, it is expected to respond to a maximum 6000 (as per Cisco claims) CAPWAP join requests at the same time. However, my personal experience says, that if you have 2000 APs trying to join an 8510, please arrange for a window of at least 1 hour.

HTH,

Cheers,

Manish Mathur

Aaah.. my bad.. I missed the last part of your query:

"What is the max number of 'new' CAPWAP registration requests that the 8510 can simultaneously handle? And is this documented per device model/firmware version?" ..

That's the most dreaded question for any OEM.. ;) .. First, I haven't seen any documentation mentioning that number. Second, even if there is one, you would not like to arrange the installation window depending on that.. What documents say and what actually happens in the field "MAY" not always be the same.. .. So, my educated guess (backed with personal experience) says that the 8510 has a pretty solid CPU and memory resource and 1 hour should be more than enough for associating at least 2000 APs ...

Cheers,

Manish

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

8500 Series offers enhanced uptime for high-scale deployments with support for:

6000 access points and 64,000 clients in a 1RU form factor

4096 VLANs for large-scale deployments

Sub-second access point and client failover for Service Set Identifier (SSID) high availability

Dual-redundant power supplies installed (AC or DC)

Dual-redundant 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: