Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum Power question

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello

I live in Switzerland and thus use -E access points.

This is the output of the 5 GHz interface of a 3502i model:

Tx Power
      Num Of Supported Power Levels ............. 7
      Tx Power Level 1 .......................... 17 dBm
      Tx Power Level 2 .......................... 14 dBm
      Tx Power Level 3 .......................... 11 dBm
      Tx Power Level 4 .......................... 8 dBm
      Tx Power Level 5 .......................... 5 dBm
      Tx Power Level 6 .......................... 2 dBm
      Tx Power Level 7 .......................... -1 dBm
      Tx Power Configuration .................... AUTOMATIC
      Current Tx Power Level .................... 1

As you can see, it allows up to 17 dBm, which is 50 mW.

Details here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1250-series/data_sheet_c78-594630.html

Now Switzerland seems to allow up to 200 mW, if TCP and DFS is active, which both would be the case.

See for details here: http://www.bakom.admin.ch/themen/geraete/00568/01232/index.html?lang=en and more details: http://www.ofcomnet.ch/cgi-bin/rir.pl?id=1010;nb=04

Is there now some possibility on how I could enable the highest output?

Thanks

Patrick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dhurshowy
Level 1
Level 1

As per your link

"Lower 5 GHz frequency band (5.15 to 5.35 GHz)

This frequency band can only be used for indoor applications. In the sub-band 5.15 to 5.25 GHz, the radiated power should not exceed 200 mW."

Radiated power would likely mean EiRP (Effective Isotropic Radiated Power) which takes antenna gain into account. The 3502i has 3dB gain on 5GHz which takes you from 50mW to 100mW, only 3dB down from the maximum of 200mW. You could use a 3502e with a 6dBi gain antenna to reach 200mW, but 3dB won't buy you too much. If you need more signal, it's better to relocate the AP or install a second one.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not going to happen. 

Let's say you can "up" the power of the AP.  What about your wireless clients?  You can't "up" the power of the wireless clients.  So what's going to happen is your clients can hear the signal from the AP but when the wireless clients talk the AP can't hear the wireless clients.  

If you want to increase wireless coverage in an area where there's little or no wireless coverage, you may have to consider putting more APs in.  

That's what I feared. I admit I have no idea what the maximum power of the clients currently is, but where might I input this information for future "correction" of the output power depending on the selected country?

Sadly I don't know the maximum power of the other European countries, so it might be because of that, that it's restricted.

There is also a difference from indoor and outdoor max TX power typically for bridging and mesh. Outdoor allows higher TX power.

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

dhurshowy
Level 1
Level 1

As per your link

"Lower 5 GHz frequency band (5.15 to 5.35 GHz)

This frequency band can only be used for indoor applications. In the sub-band 5.15 to 5.25 GHz, the radiated power should not exceed 200 mW."

Radiated power would likely mean EiRP (Effective Isotropic Radiated Power) which takes antenna gain into account. The 3502i has 3dB gain on 5GHz which takes you from 50mW to 100mW, only 3dB down from the maximum of 200mW. You could use a 3502e with a 6dBi gain antenna to reach 200mW, but 3dB won't buy you too much. If you need more signal, it's better to relocate the AP or install a second one.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card