Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS Rate That Being Used by Clients

fdharmawan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

I have a question that hopefully you guys can answer.

Is there any feature in Cisco where you can see MCS rate being used by the clients? I've seen one in HP MSM, but so far I don't know where to find this in Cisco WLC. Any of you guys ever find similar feature in WLC? Or Cisco just doesn't provide the feature?

I attached a picture so you can see the feature in MSM I just told you. Thank you.

Regards,

Faris

8 Replies 8

Hi

In a table like that no but you can use show client detail command or use Cisco Prime to determine on which MCS the device is. Not practical if you have many clients.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi Flavio,

Show client detail in WLC CLI like the file I attached? I only saw current rate, which was m8 ss2. Will PI show the same m8 ss2 or more detailed explanation? My company already ordered PI but will not delivered until early August. Now I have only 1 WLC and 5 APs to test.

And 1 more thing I found fishy. I already disabled 6.0 rate. My lowest mandatory/supported is 24.0. Yet on Supported Rates the 6.0 is still shown on the output. Any idea why?

Thank you.

You have two places to define disable/support/mandatory rates. One is global and the other is RF-Profiles. Make sure you are not using RF-Profiles and if so, you need to define the rates there also.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Please confirm if my statement is right. The Global is the one on the Network section in each radio and RF profile is the one on the RF Profiles section. Is that correct?

I already disabled the 6.0Mbps (please see attachment for confirmation). And no, I did not set any RF profile.

Current Rate..................................... m8 ss2
Supported Rates.................................. 6.0,24.0,36.0,48.0,54.0

Did you check this with multiple clients ? Are all showing that ?

Your other query about m8 ss2 with details on prime, these are real-time value & data rate is keep changing (depend on where client is). So you can get a snapshot value of a client, but difficult to report it for a period of time. Below table may explain what that value translation into

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/how-to-interpret-802-11ac-datarates/ta-p/3151995

http://mcsindex.com/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,

Yes it happens on every client I checked. I sampled 5 clients out of 12 connected, and all of them showing the same.

Regarding the command "show controllers dot11radio 1", the counter is for the AP right? I have a question here. If I already disabled the data rate, but there are some values on that data rate, is it normal or a bug?  Because I still saw some value on the counter of the disabled data rate instead of 0.

what software code you run on your WLC ?

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

The code is 8.2.166.0 and running on WLC 5520

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: