Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki AP Planning and Design

SenglyHuot3269
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have some questions relate to Meraki AP. How should we place the AP wall mount or ceiling? And what is the range coverage of the AP in x axis, y and z axis in meter? For example we use MR52.

2 Replies 2

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I know you wont like this answer, but it depends :)

Here are some general suggestions. 

If possible mount the APs in the ceiling for better coverage. Dont place the AP higher then 6 meter if using internal antennas.

Try to stay away from hallways and instead place the APs inside the rooms where the clients actually are for smaller cells and better roaming if designed correctly. 

When I'm using Ekahau hen doing a wireless design. I will start with a walk around the area, look how the clients are using the space, measuring loss in walls and then put all data in Ekahau and simulate the design. After installation of APs a sitesurvey should be performed to verify the deign.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts** 

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It really depends, when designing wireless you need to take into consideration things like walls and other attenuation. As well as number and type of clients you are supporting.

Around mounting the AP, normally the internal antenna APs are designed to be mounted to the ceiling as the RF comes out in effectively a dome from the AP to the ground. External Antennas it depends on how the antenna is installed.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card