Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate AP licenses from an old controller to a new controller

Jeremy Dubrulle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know if it's correct to use AP licenses, we bought and added on a WLC, on a new controller that will replace the old one.

I think I can do it as it's declarative on new WLC but is it correct from a Cisco point of view ?

Thanks,

10 Replies 10

What controller model you got ? Also what controller model you migrating these license from ?

HTH

Rasika

For now I don't have the model of the old WLC but it's old .. And the new will probably be a 3504.

Nope sorry I got the model it's 2504 to 3504

I don't believe you can transfer licences between generations like that.

2504 is the same era as 5508/8510, whereas 3504 is the same age as 5520/8540.

You'd have to talk to your account manager, but I suspect you'll have to buy new licences for the new controller.

Normally it's not possible. Ask your Cisco AM if they maybe can offer you a Cisco One licensing, sometimes it's possible with that.

Mikey Boy
Level 1
Level 1

From as technical point of view you can do it. From a legal point however it breaches Cisco licensing unless you purchased the old APs with Cisco 1 licensing in which case they are transferrable.

HI All, I am currently facing the same question, but for the new controllers. We are migrating our controller from the 3504 to the 9800 and upgrading from 2802i to 9115AXE. We did pay for the licenses for the 2802i and now we have paid for the licenses for the 9115. However, there are a few black spots on our heat map and I would like to know if it would be possible to migrate the licensing of the 2802 on the 3504 to the 9800. 

Thank you for any feedback. 

Hi, this depends on what kind of licenses you exactly bought. You best talk
to your Cisco sales and he can check the possibilities for you.

There is no migration.  You purchase licenses when you order the 91xx access points.  Some of your questions are answered on the FAQ here:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/215635-licensing-on-9800-wireless-lan-controlle.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you all. As you say, apparently they are different licensing schemes and I couldn't migrate the old ones to the new Controller. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: