cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate WLC 4400 to WLC 5508

ecedergren
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for some suggestion. We have a WLC 4402 and will be upgrading to WLC5508. The WLC 4402 will be moved to a smaller office to provide wireless coverage there.

Would it be better to upgrade the 4402 with the 5508, then wipe it clean and configure it for the new office from scratch.

Or configure the 5508 from scratch then change the settings in 4402 to reflect the new office.

Is there a way to use WCS to move all of the configurations from 4402 to 5508

6 Replies 6

Yahya Jaber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I would start clean for both, and configure them via WCS with templates.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Abhishek,

I strongly recommend you delete your post.  It's going nowhere.  You've posted a link which points to another link that no longer exist.  FAIL! 

Aqeel,

Delete your post.  You're not reading AND understanding the OP.  Your solution is irrelevant because it talks about how to upgrade the WLC firmware.

Gents,

May I recommend you consider getting PROPER TRAINING?  Cisco has a wealth of Cisco Training for staff which could potentially benefit.  Get yourselves properly trained before making any posts. 

That a boy!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, Scott!

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is my 2 cents. You need to understand the configuration because different code versions have different features. Depending on your knowledge of the wlc's and the configurations, you can create a backup and edit that to what your new WLC requires. You need experience doing it this way. If you plan in just going through each page on the GUI, then start clean.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eric,

You want to copy the firmware from the 4400 to the 5508?  Yes, it can be done.  Here's the easy way of doing things:

1.  Make sure both 4400 and 5508 are running the same code.

2.  Make sure the 5508 doesn't have any firmware;

3.  Copy the configuration from the 4400 to your TFTP server;

4.  Boot up the 5508 and configure the Service Port;

5.  Connect to the 5508 using the Service Port;

6.  HTML into the 5508 and copy the firmware from the TFTP server to the 5508.

7.  Make necessary changes to suit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: