Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from 3850 Converged to 5520 WLC

kkunimoto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I need to migrate from an existing 3850 Converged Access mobility controllers to a 5520 WLC. What is the process of doing this in the switch config? I would like to keep the basic config if possible in case I need to roll it back. 

In reading the converged access deployment guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-1/converged_access_deployement_guide/m_conAccess_deploy_guide/converged_access_enabling_wireless.html

The setup begins with creating a mobility controller(s) and mobility agent(s). To disable the switch as the AP controller, what are the commands needed? I will need to predownload the 5520 software to the APs and also configure the primary controller IP to the new 5520 as well. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

7 Replies 7

I would simply move APs to new vlan where 5520 IP address provided as DHCP option 43. Then shut down wireless management vlan on 3650 switch.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hey Rasika, 

Nice to hear from you. I don't think I can create a new VLAN for this customer. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm thinking for each mobility controller (switch stack), i would enter the "no wireless mobility controller" command. Do you know if this will disable the switch as a WLC and allow the APs to search for the new 5520 controller?

Yes, that command will stop switch is acting as a WLC

You can try  below command on your 3650 & see if that helps (prior to disable wlc functionality on the switch)

#ap capwap backup primary <5520_WLC_name> <5520_mgt_ip>

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks Rasika!

You can configure on AP pointing to 5520 on the High Availability tab. Then, shutdown converged access with  "no wireless mobility controller".

You can also disable "Enable Dynamic AP Management " on the Management interface of the Switch. This way, the switch will no longer accept Access Point.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi Flavio,

Would the command be "no dynamic ap management"?

Thanks for your help!

Hi

Predownloading is nice if you have too many APs or if you have AP behind poor links. Otherwise, you can go ahead. 

About the migration process, I think you can export the 3850 WLC config and import it on the 5520. This can save you some time and avoid mistakes. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: