Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from Cisco WLC 5508 to 5520

mahendranalert
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I need to migrate cisco wlc 5508 to 5520. This Cisco 5508 WLC is under production , is it possible I can import the configuration file from this 5508  and export to new 5520.

Please provide the steps which need to follow while doing migration.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1) how to transfer AP's from  cisco WLC-2 to WLC-1 since both have same IOS versions. Any URL's from cisco  available ?

On WLC-2, enter the command "config ap primary <WLC-1> <AP name> <WLC-1 management IP address>".

2) requester tried to transfer 2 LAP 1130 Access points from WLC-2 to WLC-1 2 days back but still not reflecting in WLC-1 . Any steps to troubleshoot it ?

Remote into or console into the AP.  Post the complete output to the command "sh logs" when the attempt to move the AP from one controller to another is entered.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

What is your plan, to keep the same management IP in  5520 ? If that is the case, you can't keep both environment live at the same time.

is it possible I can import the configuration file from this 5508  and export to new 5520.

No, since platform is different there may be slight differences in config. What I would do is bring up the 5508 onto same image that your 5520 is running.

Use a different management IP on 5520 & bring it online (while 5508 is in production). Go each & every GUI tab of 5508 & make sure 5520 configured with same features. Test with one AP & makesure WLANs are working as expected.

Once everything is good, you can take a maintenance window arranged and disconnect 5508 from your network and change your 5520 management IP to same as 5508. In this way you do not want to change any thing as your APs already new that IP.

If you want to keep 5520 with new IP, then you need to let your AP know that IP (via DHCP option 43, DNS or anyother method)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hello Rasika

As per the requester currently they have two 5508 WLC's.  They want to remove one 5508 WLC  and deploy in another site. The New 5520 WLC will be deployed in the place of 5508 which removed.

So clearly there will not be any HA once 5520 deployed as there will 2 different WLC's (5508 and 5520) ,as per requester they will be providing new management ip for this 5520 WLC.

as per requester they will be providing new management ip for this 5520 WLC.

If that is the case, you can bring up 5520 while 5508 in production. Gradually change AP High availability (ie primary controller name & IP) to pointing to new controller.

HTH

Rasika

Hello Rasika,

Now the situation is totally changed by requester. First I will explain you the all story.

Customer have 2 cisco 5508 WLC's configured Active (WLC-1) - Active (WLC-2). Now WLC-1 having 40 licenses and WLC-2 having 30 licenses. Now customer pourchase cisco 5520 wlc with 50 license and planned to Transfer 5 licenses from WLC-2 to WLC-1 so that WLC-1 will have 45 licenses , then he can remove the WLC-2 from their office and reconfigure, deploy it in their new remote site, configure and deploy new cisco 5520 wlc in the place of wlc-2.

we have checked and informed him that LAP1132 will nto supported by 5520 wlc. Since they have cisco AP's 2600,LAP1141N,2700,LAP1142N.

Also we checked and found that 15 number of AP's registered in WLC-1 and 20 AP's registered in WLC-2

Now customer put an instruction that First Transfer all AP's from WLC-2 to WLC-1,then total AP count in WLC-2 will be zero so that he can immediately remove WLC-2 do factory reset , reconfigure and deploy in new remote site. Also before factory reset of WLC-2 do the same configurations in cisco 5520 by cross verifying WLC-1.

After deploying the WLC-2 in remote site they can slowly deply the cisco 5520 re transfer all  access points except LAP1130 to cisco 5520 WLC.

Now could you please advice on below requirement.

1) how to transfer AP's from  cisco WLC-2 to WLC-1 since both have same IOS versions. Any URL's from cisco  available ?

2) requester tried to transfer 2 LAP 1130 Access points from WLC-2 to WLC-1 2 days back but still not reflecting in WLC-1 . Any steps to troubleshoot it ?

On WLC-2, enter the command "config ap primary <WLC-1> <AP name> <WLC-1 management IP address>".

Remote into or console into the AP.  Post the complete output to the command "sh logs" when the attempt to move the AP from one controller to another is entered.

I am in pretty much the same boat. We have a 5508 with 158 AP's. We bought the 5520 and it came with IOS 8.5.151.

I upgraded the 5508 to match IOS.. I tried the process of backing up the config from the 5508 and running it through the converter but have issues..

So I thought about setting up an HA between the two units.. I have both system configured for HA and I am at the finale step which is connecting the units together and enabling SSO..

I want the configuration to be replicated from the 5508 to the 5520.. Then migrate APs over in a staged format.

the 5508 will be Primary and the 5520 Secondary.

thoughts?

That will not work. The SSO guide specifically states the same platform model. Your best bet is to download the config file from your 5508, edit that using a text editor And upload it to the 5520. Then backup the 5520 config and run a diff between the 5508 and 5520 to see what is missing or added by default.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card