cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mobility express controller: can capwap AP join as Subordinate AP with mobility express controller?

jaheshkhan
Level 4
Level 4

I want to know this scenario.

Let imagine i have 10 capwap AP. all are capable to imagin with mobility express image so that all will act as wireless controllers.

but i selected 3 out of 10 APs and converted them to wireless controller capable and made them master.

can rest of 7 capwap APs still be able to join with master wireless controller? do I need to convert them also mobility express express, i dont want all of them to be masters.

2) if master failed then it fail over to secondary AP as master.. in that case how do I connect to this new master AP. should i need to use  IP address of secondary ?

IS there any common management IP available like Aruba APs?

4 Replies 4

Alex Moore
Level 1
Level 1
Your other 7 APs can join the Mobility Express controller without themselves being converted to Mobility Express. They only need to be converted if you want them to be capable of running the controller function.
The Mobility Express controller IP is a VRRP address shared by all the APs that are capable of hosting the controller function (and it is not the same as the management IP address of the AP which is hosting the controller function).

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI,

1) can rest of 7 capwap APs still be able to join with master wireless controller? do I need to convert them also mobility express express, i dont want all of them to be masters.

First setup Two APs with Mobilty express (Primary and next-preferred-master-Backup).

Rest all All7 AP will join to master Mobility express AP/WLC means you dont need to convert these 7 APs to ME.

2) if master failed then it fail over to secondary AP as master.. in that case how do I connect to this new master AP. should i need to use  IP address of secondary ?

You can access the secondary master AP with the same IP as master AP.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

I have one more question.
what should be the switchport configuration for master AP with mobility express acting as wireless controller given? Trunk or access port? my knowledge this should be trunk with native vlan properly configured.

what should be the switchport configuration for other subordinate APs ie CAPWAP or mobility express image APs? trunk or accesss port? it should be access port right?

It should always be a trunk port, especially when your SSIDs will be mapped to a different vlan than your management. If you are testing for example and your SSID will be on the same subnet as your ap management ip, then you can use access port, other than that, always trunk.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card