Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express Some APs Reject Certain Clients

Devinder Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

From time to time, certain clients in a ME cluster of 2802i and 1802i complain that they suddenly lost Wi-Fi connectivity. They are prompted again and again to type in their PSK and they never are able to connect back, especially on Macbook Pros. They move to a different place under coverage of another AP and they get connected with the saved profile. They come back to their room and they have same connectivity issues, The phones and other devices connect fine. Sometimes, none of the clients connect under certain APs. This generally happens if there was a prolonged power failures in certain network closet where UPS drains battery and thus POE switch reboots and then these APs come back online but seemingly with corrupt configuration / corrupt PSK for both SSIDs (have separate one for 2.4 and 5GHz). Sometimes, I will retype the PSK under two SSIDs and that will fix it, other times not. This happens on latest 8.5 codes and 8.8 codes. Never got any solution thru TAC. i am sure I am not the only one who is running into these issues for over a year. Anyone has any pointers to the issue and the fix, please help. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Check this command:
The following example shows how to reset the system after a delay of 00:01:01:

reset system in 00:01:01 image swap reset-aps save-config
Manual: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/88/cmd_ref/me_cr_book-88.pdf

Description:
reset-aps -- Resets all access points during the system reset.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Just to confirm, you run one Mobility Express domain for all your APs?
If yes, try to disable 802.11v, 11k and 11r. Those typically can cause various issues.

Thank you. How do we disable these, if they are enabled by default on the ME GUI? I believe they should be disabled by default, but I should check. Maybe I need to use CLI as I dont see anything like that under Wireless settings or under best practices.

Appreciate again,

Show wlan lists 802.11r / k and v disabled. So it is not the typical roaming parameters related issue then.

Thanks

Is there a CLI command that will force all APs including the controller AP to simultaneously reboot? Unlike WLC reset, which will cause all APs to rejoin the WLC, if I do a reboot of the controller, then the backup controller AP takes over. CLI command, config ap reset APname, only allows reset of a single AP, not all. Other option I have is to turn power off and on thru the POE switches to the AP ports via range command. There must be a better option to give reboot to all the APs.

The only way I've found to reboot all of the APs from a ME controller is to shutdown management interface.

HTH
-Jesus

*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Hi Jesus,

Thanks but how do you shutdown management interface on ME controller? After this interface is shutdown, how do you go back to this to re-enable it?

Appreciate your help and support.

That is weird, normally those features are enabled in a new ME setup. Can you check if FT is indeed disabled?

To get more information, you can run a debug client [macaddress] with a client where you know you will soon have a problem and then upload this here. The command needs to be run on the Master AP.

The only way to reload them all (that I know of) is to do a software upgrade.

Yes all 802.11r/k/v are disabled. The new code shows an advanced tab under WLANs configuration section where it shows fields for these in the GUI.

The APs all had 40MHz channels set it. I have changed bandwidth to 20MHz and that seems to help resolve most of these issues, but I will like to find an easier way to reboot all the APs at the same time and then re-test.

Very best,

Check this command:
The following example shows how to reset the system after a delay of 00:01:01:

reset system in 00:01:01 image swap reset-aps save-config
Manual: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/88/cmd_ref/me_cr_book-88.pdf

Description:
reset-aps -- Resets all access points during the system reset.

Thanks you so much for this controller command that also works for ME Controller to also then reboot all APs at the same time. This will resolve my issues, I am sure. I will schedule it for coming Sunday at 4AM.

reset system at 2020-04-12 04:00:00 reset-aps save-config

Appreciate your great help and support and wish you and your family and everyone on this forum, the best of health during these challenging times. I will accept your last answer as the solution. Thanks again and stay well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: