Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Groups

ciscogeek090
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are planning on installing 2 wireless LAN controllers in 2 data centres.

The WLC in DC1 will be the active for 100 aps and the WLC in DC2 will be the backup. As end devices will never need to roam between WLCs, is there any need to setup Mobility Groups? If not, can i just leave the controllers in the default mobility groups and just leave it or is it advised to create serperate groups and join them togther?

Thank you                  

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need the wlcs to be in the same mobility group and the mobility group has to be configured correctly order for access points to be able to fail over to the back wlc.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-3288

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for this. I have the controllers setup in my lab and I just tested failover without the controllers in the same mobility group and the access points failoved over without any issues.

WLC1: 10.1.1.1/24

WLC2: 10.1.2.1/24

I used DHCP to force the aps to register to WLC1 and then I manually changed the aps primary controller to WLC1 and the secondary controller to WLC2. When i disconnect WLC1, the APs successfully failover. Both controllers are in seperate mobility groups with no data/control plane between them.

For this I'm wondering what mobility groups are for? Are they more for stateful failover?

Hey there...

The use and benifit of mob groups is for seamless roaming from WLC to WLC. Say you are connected on a AP on WLC1 and you move to a AP on WLC2. If your WLCs arent in the same mob group your client will disconnect on L3 and have to RE-IP for example.

When the WLCs are in the same group, the WLCs share mobility messages.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would setup the mobility since its best practice. Why it worked in your lab, I don't know. But in order for APs to know of the other WLCs, it gets this info from the mobility group. If you read the doc, it states it's a requirement. It doesn't take long to configure and I would configure it if I were you.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: