cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving flexconnect APs from one WLC to another?

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

I need to move 6 access points from one WLC to another.  Is there a method to getting the AP to forget the previous controller other than changing the HA ip address?  I have CLI access to these APs so thinking maybe I can configure them via the AP CAPWAP cli commands to prefer the new controller?

Any guidance that will help here would be much appreciated.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

You can set the controller using this CLI command:

AP#capwap ap primary-base <WLC-sysname> <IP-address>

But this is basically the same configuration as setting the controller IP address in the GUI.

If you're using Cisco Prime Infrastructure you can create a lightweight AP template and apply this configuration to all 6 APs at the same time. 

Ok so prime the APs with the new controller ip address, as you suggested, make the change at the WLCs and then bounce the AP ports.

Does that sound right?

If you apply the template from Cisco Prime you don't need to make any changes on WLC. CPI will do that for you.
Please refer to the user guide:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-1/user/guide/pi_ug/config-temp.html#29659

We don't have Cisco Prime.  I just changed one of the AP's via CLI and it moved to the other controller without issue.  So far its showing client connections without issue.  I want to take another look tomorrow and then I will do the rest of them.  

Thank you.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You should just change the configuration on the HA and only put the wlc and ip you want and clear out the rest. The only other way is to clear the nvram, but I donā€™t think you have to go that far. I have used that when I factory rest an ap.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card