cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSE 3365 initial configuration for CMX and wIPS?

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Experts, 

For those new to MSE 3365, is there an easy to refer initial configuration guide to have the MSE 3365 configured as either a CMX or wIPS?

I have configured an MSE 3365 out of box with basic IP address configuration to the extent that it is reachable over the network through ping. However could not get web gui access.

Do we need to explicitly load first the CMX software on the MSE 3365 to browse it through GUI?

[cmxadmin@localhost ~]$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 7C:B2:AE:A8:68:74
inet addr:192.200.2.12 Bcast:192.200.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::6eb2:aeff:fe98:a874/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:539 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:100 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:55936 (54.6 KiB) TX bytes:5812 (5.6 KiB)
Memory:faa00000-faafffff

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:43 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:43 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:3584 (3.5 KiB) TX bytes:3584 (3.5 KiB)

3 Replies 3

Hi

CMX and wIPS have different approach.  For wIPS you need to create a Profile on Prime and push to the MSE. You need to have Prime, MSE and WLC communicating for this to happen. MSE use NMSP protocol to get data from WLC and pass this out to Prime via HTTP/SOAP on port 443. 

You can create a profile on the following link on Prime:

Services / Mobility Services / wIPS Profiles

For CMX you need the web interface on the MSE. I had problem in the past due firewall iptable on the MSE. It is a good idea disable it if you are not familiar with iptables:

service iptables stop

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi Expert

Meaning to said if I am planning to implement CMX 10.x version and higher with wIPS feature enabled. I may need to implement 2 VM instances to host CMX and wIPS?

Meaning to

said if I am planning to implement CMX 10.x version and higher with wIPS feature enabled. I may need to implement 2 VM instances to host CMX and wIPS?

Hello Kevin, 

Yes, for sure you would require two instances of VMs. There will be two different codes that you would need to have for CMX and wIPS respectively. 

1. For CMX it would be 10.x series

2. For wIPS for you will need to upgrade with 8.x series with which you have options to enable multiple services, one amongst those options is wIPS. Following are the options that you could enable when running 8.x series

a. CAS Elements ( Context Aware Service)

b. wIPS

c. Mobility Conceirge

d. Location Analytics

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card