Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast enabled or not ?

Clem58
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

We have a WLC 5520 with 3802E/I APs in flexconnect (local switching).

The Global Multicast is not enabled.

In the General tab the multicast is on multicast/multicast mode with 239.x.x.x group

1.PNG

Is this multicast mode is enabled even if the global multicast mode is not enabled ?

Because as we are running with flexconnect mode, we need to do multicast-unicast I assume.

3 Replies 3

Hi

You don't need multi cast because you are running AP in flexconnect. You need multicast if you are running some application that requires multicast.

The wireless controller may use multicast to deliver information to the APs but it is part of the management process and you don't need to worry about. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Ok thanks for your answer. But precisely, is multicast-multicast is still enabled, even if global multicast mode is disableld ?

is multicast-multicast is still enabled, even if global multicast mode is disableld ?

No. Refer below thread as it got useful information about multicast with FlexConnect. 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-wireless-mobility-subjects/multicast-client-on-flexconnect-ap/td-p/2093220

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card