Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Wireless MGID L2 vs MGID L3

Hello Folks.

I'm studying for my IUWVN and I'm on Multicast topic, I spent a lot of time trying to understand the difference between MGID L2 and MGID L3.

I know that when I have not enable IGMP snooping on the WLC, multicast packet travel from the client to the uplink router directly. I know the Controller create a MGID L2. I believe this entry contains:

• Multicam group ID
  • VLAN's Client
  • Mac Address Client

Then the WLC send out the multicast packet to all the AP and then, the AP will send the AP to all client in VLAN requested.

For example:

I client sends an IGMP message, he wants to join the group 239.1.1.1, his VLAN is 10, and his Mac Address is AAA.BBBB.CCCC.

So I believe that the multicast traffic will be send to all clients in VLAN 10 although just one need it?

For MGID L3 most the same process (IGMP Enable on WLC), the main difference could be that the traffic will be send only to clients how request it and not all clients in VLAN 10?

Thanks for your help amigos, any info would be appreciate.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**
0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card