Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple antennas on AP1261

Hello,  I would like to install three antennas (2450S) on some AP1261 that i wold spread out 10 feet apart. I am not able to get the antenna on the C connector to transmit. I am not using 802.11N. This is for a warehouse where all the WiFi devices are 802.11G. My question is: can you get all three connetors on the AP to transmis

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well 10' apart is too far. The suggested distance is to measure the current ports on the AP and go no further than 3 times that distance. Also your antennas your using has to point in the same direction! Don't try to one to cover one area and another pointed o another area as this will cause you problems. The APs ate designed to use diversity which requires more than one antenna. You can set which ports your will use for TX and RX. Disable any ports that there will be no antennas connected.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have seen people install the same antennas and AP on a post with the three antennas pointing in oposite direction. Can Diversity be disabled on theses AP ?

diversity can be disabled, but that wouldn't help the situation.  Diversity allows the AP to try to flip the rx so it can hear the client 'better'

BTW, the 'C' port is RX only.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I have seen this also, but it doesn't work that way.... maybe other vendors have units that work that way, but the 1262 doesn't. So like Steve mentioned,the C port is RX only and doesn't have to be connected. If you want to provide coverage using that AP and those antennas, you need to place them within 3 x the original port distance and then have to have them pointed in the same direction to provide diversity. You can use only one antenna and then purchase another 1261 to provide coverage on the other area and disable diversity since you will only be using one antenna.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

OK i was just trying to cover a larger area with less AP. How would you disable diversity ? i dont see the option in the GUI

Adding more aps is what is best when trying to cover large areas.... increasing the antenna gain canprovide increase signal, but the client device signal might not reach the AP. To disable diversity:

antenna receive
{diversity | left | middle | right}

Set the receive antenna to diversity, left, middle, right, or all.

Note For best performance with two antennas, leave the receive antenna setting at the default setting, diversity. For one antenna, attach the antenna on the right and set the antenna for right.

antenna transmit
{diversity | left | right}

Set the transmit antenna to diversity, left, or right.

Note For best performance with two antennas, leave the receive antenna setting at the default setting, diversity. For one antenna, attach the antenna on the right and set the antenna for right.

-Scott

Here is a link also.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_10b_JA/configuration/guide/scg12410b-chap6-radio.html#wp1037786

-Scott

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

can you get all three connetors on the AP to transmis?

3rd transmitter adds up cost, 1260 doesn't have 3 Transmitters unlike 2600/3600.

Can Diversity be disabled on theses AP ?

If you prefer to use single antenna then disable diversity,  it is mandatory if more than one antenna is used.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008019f646.shtml

Diversity antennas are not designed to extend the coverage range of a radio cell, but to enhance the coverage of a cell. The enhanced coverage is an effort to overcome issues that arise from multipath distortion and signal nulls. Attempts to use the two antennas on an access point to cover two different radio cells can result in connectivity issues.

coverage can be altered tweaking datarate, tx power based on the requirement, at the sametime considering interference, channel utilization,..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card