Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Countries, Single WLC - Mesh APs

WGL_BK
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I currently have a single 5520 WLC running 8.8.100.0. It's being asked to run APs in the -B and -E regulatory domains however my reading tells me that mesh APs will face some challenges if the WLC is set to support multiple countries. We currently have wireless bridges between 1562D-B devices. Will the multi-country set up negatively affect those, or is this warning for mesh connections between APs in different domains?

Are there any gotchas to look out for in moving to a multi-country configuration?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes.
It is better to "sacrifice" a 2800/3800 or Catalyst AP9k and load it with ME/EWC firmware.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@WGL_BK wrote:

Are there any gotchas to look out for in moving to a multi-country configuration?

Multi-country and multiple conflicting regulatory domains are very different.  

-B and -E, particularly if you're using 5.0 Ghz, will not work.  

Ah, I see. So if I had gone ahead with changing to multiple countries, I'd have been able to add the new -E APs but my -B wireless bridges would have been broken. Is that a fair statement to make?

Yes.
It is better to "sacrifice" a 2800/3800 or Catalyst AP9k and load it with ME/EWC firmware.

Thank you for this quick answer. Is there any document you might suggest I read to become more versed in this area?
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card