Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple SSID for AP in light mode

rlopez
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I tried to configure an AP which is in light mode to have multiple SSID as I do with autonomous AP but I couldn't, is it possible for an AP in light mode to have multiple SSID? if so, how can I do that?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

supported WLANs is 512 and on the AP you are right its 16..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5.2/configuration/guide/c52wlan.html

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

irrespective of how many APs we have we can configure 512 WLANs on the WLC, the APs will broadcast only 16 at any time, we need to configure wlan override on the AP or the AP groups to get the desitred WLAN broadcast. regarding the switch port configuration.. the switchport shouls be a simple access port for the perticular vlan so that the AP will get a IP address.. rest all is taken care by the WLC.

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

light mode means i assume we are using the WLC.. by default all the SSID will get pushed to the AP which is in Light weight mode. and we cannot configue the Light AP.. it will not take the command "config t" at all.. how exactly did we configure the first SSID??

Regards
Surendra BG

thank you surendra for your quick response,

you are right, we are using wlc, what I tried to ask was that within wlc configuration is it possible to assign multiple ssid to an AP? I see that we only be able to choose one SSID for AP according to the image i'm sending you, but i don't know if i have to perform some other steps before in other to configure multiple ssid.

I hope i was clear and you can help me.

Thank you very much

Sure you can have multiple SSIDs for lightweight access points. You configure that from the WLC. Create the interfaces first and then the SSIDs you want and assign them to the interfaces. Create multiple WLANs, each WLAN have one WLAN profile and one SSID. You can also assign multiple SSIDs to the same interface or you can have each SSID exiting the WLC on separate dedicated VLANs. I added some snapshots from a lab WLC.

/André

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The WLC can support 1,024 SSID but only 16 SSID is active at any one time.

supported WLANs is 512 and on the AP you are right its 16..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5.2/configuration/guide/c52wlan.html

Regards
Surendra BG

thank you,

so, if I understood well, I can configure up to 32 AP with 16 different WLAN each AP to be published? or I can publish up to 16 different WLAN no matter how many AP I have?. the other question is, should I configure the switch port to which the AP is connected as trunk port?

thank you very much for your help

irrespective of how many APs we have we can configure 512 WLANs on the WLC, the APs will broadcast only 16 at any time, we need to configure wlan override on the AP or the AP groups to get the desitred WLAN broadcast. regarding the switch port configuration.. the switchport shouls be a simple access port for the perticular vlan so that the AP will get a IP address.. rest all is taken care by the WLC.

Regards
Surendra BG

WLC --------------------------------- SWITCH ---------------------------------- AP

(trunk allowing all vlans)             (Access for AP to get IP)

Regards
Surendra BG

Thank you very much, I'll do some test, you give me some good ideas.

Hi,

This single AP will be responsible for multiple SSIDs like for VOICE (vlan 10) and for DATA ( vlan 20 ).In this case, the Switch port that connect to the AP should be TRUNK as well ?

supported WLANs is 512

Darn it!  I always get this number wrong.    Thanks for the correction.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: