Helpful
Replies

N+1 HA deployement

O.Zang
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Please advice.

I am deploying N+1 HA with 5520 WLC. configuration is done in local mode ( Not flexconnect).

When the shuting down the Primary WLC, wireless client are not able to get an ip address.

Do I need to switch my configuration to flexconnect ?

Ps: The VLAN use by WLAN interfaces is not configured on switches on the remote site off the secondary WLC.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

OZ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You have not designed this properly. When you use N+1 where you have two active controllers, they need to have interfaces on the same subnet or else failover doesn’t work or doesn’t work right. When controllers are placed in locations where the subnet is not spanned, then FlexConnect is the design to go with. You also need to understand the restrictions that comes with FlexConnect so that you really understand if your design meet the requirements or not. This is all in the guides for FlexConnect. Also the high availability guide has requirements that you did not meet, in which failover didn’t work.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You have not designed this properly. When you use N+1 where you have two active controllers, they need to have interfaces on the same subnet or else failover doesn’t work or doesn’t work right. When controllers are placed in locations where the subnet is not spanned, then FlexConnect is the design to go with. You also need to understand the restrictions that comes with FlexConnect so that you really understand if your design meet the requirements or not. This is all in the guides for FlexConnect. Also the high availability guide has requirements that you did not meet, in which failover didn’t work.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card