cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need advise before purchase AP Wifi 6 | Does i need Embedded Wireless Controller for my meaning?

Elrick Landon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently use two AP3702 WiFi access points (model with 4 antennas in POE) with the same SSID, this allows me to have a Wifi network all over my house.
Depending on my distance from the access point, my device (Smartphone, tablet...) switches automatically from one point to the other.

I want to updrade to Wifi 6, I see equipments with and without wireless controller, I don't understand the difference...
Which models (with or without Wireless Controller) should I take to have the same operating mode?

Can i convert non Embedded Wireless Controller to an EWC ? Does i need to purchase a licence ?

Not all the equipment I use is compatible with this standard, so I need to be able to have backwards compatibility with the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

Thank you for your advice

14 Replies 14

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you want to just replace with ax, then just get a few 91x0 access points with EWC. You can always convert EWC to lightweight and vice vera, but you need to be able to download the files. I have both a 9800-L, 9800-CL and 9120/9130 and EWC’s on 9130’s running for my home lab. The 9800-CL is free and you just need to be able to spin the vm up, or else just get the EWC and run the controller off of that, that would be the easiest way to get started on the IOS-XE.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So to have the same operating mode I have to buy an AX model with EWC?

It is not possible to convert a non EWC model to EWC?

You need to look at the EWC faq. That explains what “other” model access points are compatible. EWC access points are only available on the 91x0 series access points, not any other. So you would need a 91x0 to be the EWC controller and all the other compatible access points EWC compatible. Take a look at the guides, that explains everything you need to know about EWC. An EWC can be converted to lightweight but only a “compatible” access point (91x0) can be converted to EWC.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/q-and-a-c67-743152.pdf
-Scott

Do you confirm that is will be possible to convert C9120AXE non EWC to EWC ?

Does i need to pay licence ? or it is free ?

Best Regards.

Yes you will be able to convert it, but make sure you can download the images you need. Typically you need support in order to download. Without access to the images, you will not be able to convert nor ever upgrade your ap.
-Scott

If i am able to acces and download images, does the licence is mandatory for my meaning or it's only advanced feature not usefull in my case ?

Did you look at the link I posted?

In order to connect any access points to the embedded wireless controller, Cisco DNA software subscription licenses are required. Every access point connecting to the embedded wireless controller requires a Cisco DNA software subscription license. Subscription licenses are purchased when a customer buys an access point. In most cases, this is a mandatory attach.
-Scott

I'm struggling to understand why I should buy a license, I use two AP3702s and I didn't have that need.
Are you sure I need to have access points with EWC functionality to meet my need?

Look at it this way. If you had a 3504 or any of the newer AireOS controllers, you would need to buy a license. Autonomous AP’s don’t require license. New 91x0 requires license which is added automatically. So go buy your EWC and then add any other supported access points. You only asked about EWC, which is documented. Ask your reseller when you buy the ap, what you need.
-Scott

> I'm struggling to understand why I should buy a license
Cisco sells the product, they say you *must* buy a license with the product, it's not optional. There really is nothing to understand except that you have no choice in the matter. Obviously you have the choice to buy a different product.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Elrick Landon wrote:

I want to updrade to Wifi 6

Unless one lives in a property with wide open spaces, WiFi 6/802.11ax is not beneficial.  

I don't understand this answer, everywhere on  the web wifi 6 is better than AC.

If your research points to WiFi 6 being better, what is your concern, go with WiFi 6. If your client devices are not WiFi 6 then they will only connect using AC. It’s up to you what you need from your requirements. At the end of the day, it comes down to proper access point placement, stable code and an optimized configuration that will decide how well your wireless is. There is no magic here if your design is bad or ap locations are bad for example.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card