cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Help With Wireless Bridging

denvermilton
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I have recently perchased high speed WiFi for my house so I could do some gaming on my Xbox. Problem is my roommate, who is a tech support professional, set the modem up in his bedroom, my Xbox is old and requires a wireless adapter to pick up signals but since the modem is so far away from it it barely recieves the signal. So currently I'm paying for nothing so I confronted him about this issue and he attempted to fix it by wirelessly bridging a router to the modem but after a month he hasn't succeeded and has given up so now it's up to me and I have no clue where to even begin. The modem we have is a Cisco DPC3825 and the router is a NetGear Wireless-N Router WVR2000 V2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 Replies 5

thefranmanatt
Level 1
Level 1

Move the modem in to your room. 

draw a layout of of your house and where the stuff is located.  Do you have a cable port anywhere close to the center of your house?  Does wireless work on anything else? 

Download the home version on your laptop

http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

You'll want -70 or lower (-60).  If you get in to the high 70's or 80's you'll pr

CCNP - Wireless
CWNA and CWAP

CCNP - Wireless
CWNE #136

Just a small note:

You'll want -70 or lower (-60).  If you get in to the high 70's or 80's you'll pr

-60 is actually higher, not lower than -70 dbm. We always get into this mistake (me included).

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Amjad, yes I understand that but you need understand the scope here. It is beyond what this guy is going to care about.

CCNP - Wireless
CWNA and CWAP

CCNP - Wireless
CWNE #136

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Denver: I did not actually understand what kind of bridging you want to do?

The modem already has a wireless transmitter. I think you mean the router is picking up the wireless signal and provide the xbox with connectivity via wired cable. is that right?

If correct, It looks like the issue is with the distance/barriers between your modem and router. You need to try to eliminate some barriers in between to get better signl. Try also to put the devices as close as possible to each other.

HTH

Amjad

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As per my understanding you need to increase your frequency range that might be possible with using a metal or copper wire serving as antenna. Also make sure that the default gateway is configured properly on the wireless router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: