Helpful
Replies

Need to relogin web auth again and again

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi everyone,

PC is connected with AP.

In WLC  user timeout settings are 30000.

enable session timeout is unchecked.

WLC  Software Version 7.0.230.0

Then also Laptop loses the connection.i can not ping the default gateway form laptop.

i need to do web login again to fix the issue.

Need to know what else i can do to fix this issue?

Regards

MAhesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

From WLC GUI.

1- "Enable Sleeping Client" by checking the box On WLAN you want the PC to connect.

2- Make sure that the session timeout is greater than the client idle timeout,only then Enable Sleeping Client  will work.

Ref:-

http://www.borderlessccie.net/?p=220

This will solve your issue.

View solution in original post

Mahesh,

You have old controller with old Software version so you don't have many feature which other people suggesting.

I am using a WLAN with webauth and its not asking for reauth again and again.

But for this you need to set these parameter:

Session Timeout -65535
User Idle Timeout - 86400
ARP Timeout - 86400

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mahes,

You can Change These Time-out(Max one day).

set These and try again:

Session Timeout -65535
ARP Timeout - 86400

More info: https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/timeout-setting-on-wireless-lan-controller/

***You need to re-authenticate the devices each and every time the timer expires.

Regards

Don't Forget to rate helpful posts

I think, it's a expected. client has to re-login/reauth after session timeout or deauth.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008067489f.shtml

(search - session timeout on the page)

Note: If clients are  active after successful login, they will get de-authenticated and entry  can still be removed from the controller after the session timeout  period configured on that WLAN (for example,1800 seconds by default and  can be changed using this CLI command: config wlan session-timeout ).  When this occurs, client entry is removed from the controller. If the  client associates again, it will move back in a Webauth_Reqd state.

If clients are in Webauth_Reqd state, no matter if they are active or idle, the clients will get de-authenticated after a web-auth required timeout period (for example, 300 seconds and this time is non-user  configurable). All traffic from the client (allowed via Pre-Auth ACL)  will be disrupted. If the client associates again, it will move back to  the Webauth_Reqd state.

but in my case session idle timeout is unchecked.

So this should mean that even if client PC is idle it should not ask for relogin right?

where in WLC i can find the web-auth required timeout period?

i have configured internal local user account and that account is permanent it is not guest account.

Regards

Mahesh

Mahesh,

You have old controller with old Software version so you don't have many feature which other people suggesting.

I am using a WLAN with webauth and its not asking for reauth again and again.

But for this you need to set these parameter:

Session Timeout -65535
ARP Timeout - 86400

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Many thanks Sandeep i will do as you suggested.

Regards

Mahesh

This option not available on old wlc version. Guess the default is one hr. and we're stuck with it unless web-auth never timesout. passive client, sleeping clients are other features available.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/118963-config-web-auth-timeout-wlc-00.html

Log in via the CLI and enter the config wlan security web-auth timeout command in order to increase the Web-auth timeout value.

(WLC)>config wlan security web-auth timeout ?
<value> Configures Web authentication Timeout (300-14400 seconds).

(WLC)>config wlan security web-auth timeout 3600 <Wlan_id> 

Verify

Use this section to confirm that your configuration works properly.

The Web-auth session timeout value for your WLAN appears as this example output shows:

(WLC)>show wlan 10
Web Based Authentication...................... Enabled
 Web Authentication Timeout.................... 3600

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

From WLC GUI.

1- "Enable Sleeping Client" by checking the box On WLAN you want the PC to connect.

2- Make sure that the session timeout is greater than the client idle timeout,only then Enable Sleeping Client  will work.

Ref:-

http://www.borderlessccie.net/?p=220

This will solve your issue.

Seems 4402 does not support this feature

(Cisco Controller) >config      wlan  custom-web    ?

ext-webauth-url Configures an External Web-Auth URL.
global         Configures the Global Status for the WLAN.
login-page     Configures a Login Page Name.
loginfailure-page Configures a Loginfailure Page Name.
logout-page    Configures a Logout Page Name.
webauth-type   Configures the Web-Auth-Type for the WLAN.

(Cisco Controller) >config      wlan  custom-web

Regards

Mahesh

If the above doesn't work ,as I mentioned earlier. Then Clients will have to Re-Auth.

Note:- Check again to make sure you can configure these parameters.

Seems this feature is only supported on WLC with version 7.5 as per link which you send me.

So the session timeout is in the GUI 

WLAN, Advanced, Enable session timeout

Then ARP Timeout and User Idle Timeout are in GUI 

Controller, General.

Is this still best practice to set this to 86400 for a modern web auth. setup on a 5520 controller with 8.3 code.

I wonder if perhaps Scott Fella or one of the other luminaries would comment on this?

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card