Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to setup Public Wifi without a password AP1142AG

dradunsky
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

I am trying to set up Public wifi on my three AP1142AG WAPs.  They are configured for WDS and VLAN 1 is our corporate network.  VLAN 2 is the public network.  All this works just fine.

What I need to do is make the Public WiFi available without a password.  (Yes, I know that this is not a recommended or even smart idea.  But, the client (a City) is adamant.)

Failing a NO PASSWORD scenario is there a way to make the password short (3 or 4 characters at most).

Thanks for the help.

David Radunsky

17 Replies 17

Well the term "open" is used to mean unencrypted for almost all folks. However "open" authentication has other meanings in 802.11 talk. But that's a different discussion.

Having an open network isnt really a bad thing, so long as you block the correct content. It is crazy they dont want a AUP so the folks know what they are connected to with terms and conditions. But you cant have a encryted network UNLESS you deploy a PSK key or some other time of advanced security like 802.1X. Which adds to tyhe hassle for guest. Lets face it .. You would have to advertise the PSK key and most folks wouldnt know what to do with it anyway.

Sounds to me .. create a open network. Apply your qos and fw rules.

if you find any of this helpful . if you dont mind support the rating system.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

dradunsky
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you George and Scott!

No problem... good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card