cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new Aironet 600 AP vs 1140 AP

Eric.Wang
Level 1
Level 1

what is the difference betw two AP models? both work in dual band and work with WLC

they even look the same...

32 Replies 32

There are some significant differences which haven't been discussed.

1)     The AP600 has a tunnelled wired interface, the 1140 does not meaning you cannot connect wired deviced

2)     The AP600 required local power, the 1140 CAN be powered via PoE although this is unlikely to be used at home

3)     The AP600 has a 15 device hard lock.  I'm not sure what the 1140 is but significantly more than this

4)     The AP600 can ONLY be used with a 5508 or WISMII,the 1140 can be used with a WISM, 4400 and some older WLC, However if configured as an external device you would need to use the 5508/wismII still, however you might like the flexiblity of the 1140 to use and re-use

5)     The 1140s get VERY hot underneath (where they should be mounted) whereas the AP600 does not

6)     The AP600 cannot be configured to Support ONLY WPA/TKIP + WPA2/AES.  If you want this combination you MUST also enable WPA/AES and WPA2/TKIP which are not standards.

7)     The AP600 can only support 2 wireless SSIDs + 1 wired tunnel port.  The 1140 can support 16 SSIDs

So these devices are really not like for like, but with these differences clearly explained you can make your own choice.

As we are now removing 1131s from our offices we regularly issue these for use in more permanent remote offices and these work extremely well where the faster N speeds aren't needed (Especially is the backhaul is ADSL).

Paul

Very helpful Paul, thanks.

Hi Guys,

Just digging out this old post cos i have a requiremetn to connect an Ip phone, IPTV and laptop for a hotel wireless. They need to have one AP in every room and OEAP600 seems to be suitable for this ?  Can i configure the ethernet ports to be on different VLAN's ? also is there an option to "locally switch" the wired traffic onto the switches ? cos i dont want all the IPTV and IP phone traffic to tunnel to the controller ! . Any info on this will be appreciated !

regards

Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card